More Local Headlines
No paper Monday due to Memorial Day holiday
SIKESTON -- The Standard Democrat will not publish a paper Monday in observance of Memorial Day, and the offices will be closed. Regular publication will resume with the Wednesday edition. Offices will reopen at the normal time of 7:30 a.m. Tuesday...
Memorial Day 2016
Above: With Memorial Day approaching, Hope Dawson took time to bring her American flag to the Veterans Memorial Park in New Madrid where she viewed the names of three of her relatives who served in the military. Hope is the granddaughter of Hayden and Lisa Dawson. Left: Justin and Jordan Marks put out 260 flags in front of Fellowship Baptist Church to try to thank the families of the nation's fallen heroes...
Volunteers can show they care for their community by pitching in, cleaning up
SIKESTON -- Jay Lancaster surveyed the lots with trees sprouting in clumps and overgrown bushes and weeds and was unhappy. He knew the neighbors were equally unhappy with the unkempt areas. Unfortunately, according to Lancaster, Sikeston's director of public works, it is a problem he sees along several streets in the community...
Governor grants pardon to man convicted in Stoddard County
JEFFERSON CITY -- A man sentenced in Stoddard County is one of nine people convicted of non-violent offenses and granted pardons by Gov. Jay Nixon. Each of the individuals has completed his or her sentence and become a law-abiding citizen, according to Nixon...
Rainfall creates state of emergency
JEFFERSON CITY -- As a series of severe storm systems continue to move through Missouri, Gov. Jay Nixon Friday evening declared a state of emergency in preparation for more flooding, especially in areas where levees may be overtopped in west-central Missouri...
Summer concerts returning
SIKESTON -- Historic Downtown Sikeston's seasonal weekly concerts return later this week on a new new night and a different site. Set for 6 p.m. every Thursday in June at the American Legion Park, the 2016 Summer Concert Series will kick off with performances under the Keith Collins Bandstand by the bluegrass/gospel band, Jordan's Tide...
Heavy rains Thursday afternoon caused many problems for those traveling on Sikeston streets. Approximately four inches of rain fell as streets in Sikeston began to flood causing cars to flood out and stall on roadways. Storm drains also clogged up while cars on the roads were pushing water onto people's property. The Sikeston Department of Public Safety eventually asked everyone to stay off the roadways until street workers could get them passable again...
Event marking last day of school for local children was 'one of best so far'
SIKESTON - Rita Savage started her annual last day of school give away in 2007, but out of all the years she said May 20 was "one of the best so far." A small rain shower popped up but the hour late start didn't deter the over 200 attendees of children and their parents...
American Legion's annual poker run and cook off set for June 3-4
SIKESTON - The American Legion is gearing up for its fourth annual poker run and cook off. The event is scheduled for June 3-4 at the American Legion Post 114 in Sikeston. Proceeds will benefit the Missouri State Veterans Cemetery in Bloomfield. The Cemetery is partially funded by the state, but maintenance is largely funded by donations. American Legion Past Department Commander Dennis Woeltje said that last year's event raised $17,000 which went toward replacing chimes at the Cemetery...
10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today: 1. OBAMA MAKES HISTORIC VISIT TO HIROSHIMA "Death fell from the sky and the world was changed," the president says in a somber speech in the city where the U.S. dropped the first atomic bomb...
Matthews man pleads guilty to robbing local truck stop
NEW MADRID - A New Madrid County man could spend the next 10 years in jail after pleading guilty to robbing a local truck stop. Jacob Patrick of Matthews entered his guilty plea to first degree robbery Tuesday before Judge Fred Copeland for robbing the Love's Truck Stop at Matthews on April 30. ...
Board approves bid to fix back side of Miner lagoon
MINER, Mo. -- Work will soon begin on the Miner lagoon, after a bid was approved by the Miner Board of Aldermen at Tuesday's monthly meeting. According to Miner City Clerk Darrin Skinner, erosion has damaged the back side of the lagoon. The Board approved the bid of AC James Excavating to do the work for $14,450...
Man charged with robbing Risco bank
NEW MADRID, Mo. - The cooperation of area law enforcement led to the quick capture of a bank robber. George E. Reed, 55, was taken into custody Tuesday within an hour of the robbery of First State Community Bank in Risco. Shortly after 9 a.m. Tuesday, Reed allegedly entered the bank with a black long gun demanding money, according to New Madrid County Sheriff Terry Stevens. After taking an undetermined amount of money, the robber left in an older model Lincoln Centennial...
Police seek help in identifying robbery suspect
SIKESTON -- Sikeston police are asking for help in identifying a robbery suspect. About 11:08 p.m. Monday a robbery was reported at Huck's Convenience Store located at 823 E. Malone Ave. in Sikeston, according to Capt. Jim McMillen, public information officer according to Sikeston Department of Public Safety...
Woman attacks man with hammer
CARUTHERSVILLE, Mo. - A woman is facing multiple charges after attacking a man with a claw hammer. On Tuesday, Caruthersville Police officers responded to a report of domestic violence at a residence in the 100 block of Midtown. According to Caruthersville Police Chief Tony Jones, officers observed a woman walking through the apartment complex carrying a claw hammer...
Sikeston woman is jailed for punching her relative
SIKESTON -- A Sikeston woman will be arraigned today after allegedly hitting her relative in the face. Manniyah Therese Goodwin, 20, of Sikeston is charged with misdemeanor third degree domestic assault, assault of a law enforcement officer and resisting arrest, according to Missouri Case.net. She is scheduled to appear at 10:30 a.m. today before Judge Scott T. Horman...
Three facing more charges after assault in Scott County Jail
BENTON, Mo. -- Three Scott County inmates face additional assault charges after allegedly assaulting another inmate earlier this month. Stevie Cordale Lott, 44, and Steven Dominique Davis, 24, of Sikeston were each charged Friday with felony first degree assault, and Christian Lee Conley, 25, of Sikeston was charged Friday with felony second degree assault...
Wyatt woman jailed for burglaries
WYATT, Mo. - A Mississippi County woman is scheduled to be arraigned on felony charges following an investigation into a series of burglaries in Wyatt. Brenda G. Lloyd of Wyatt is scheduled to be arraigned at 9:15 a.m. today before Associate Judge S. Rob Barker on charges of first degree burglary, second degree property damage and stealing...
Sikeston school, community work together to help families
SIKESTON -- More often than others may realize, some Sikeston families are in a constant need of food and other household items. At Lee Hunter Elementary in Sikeston, the Bulldog Pantry was created to meet the needs of students and their families. Elizabeth Martin, principal/academic leader of Lee Hunter Elementary, said retired Lee Hunter teacher Lynne DeWitt came to her in January and asked if she could start a pantry of items needed by students and their families...
Decorated veteran will be speaker for Memorial Day service
SIKESTON - A Southeast Missouri native who served as helicopter pilot flying missions over Vietnam and Cambodia will address the public at Sikeston's annual Memorial Day Service. Retired U.S. Army Chief Warrant Officer John H. Williams, who grew up in Anniston, will be the guest speaker at the service which begins at 10:30 a.m. Monday at the Sikeston Veterans Park...
10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today: 1. WHAT A FORENSICS EXPERT IS SAYING ABOUT EGYPTAIR CRASH Human remains retrieved from the crash site of Flight 804 suggest there was an explosion on board that may have brought down the aircraft...
Dexter motorcyclist dies in crash
ARBOR - A Dexter man was killed when his motorcycle collided with a car. Jacob J. Fields, 25, was pronounced dead at 6:30 p.m. Monday by Cape Girardeau County Coroner John Clifton at the scene of an accident on Highway 25, two miles south of Arbor. His death is the 23rd fatality in the Troop E area this year...
Clay Waller faces federal charge in wife Jacque's murder
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. - When Clay Waller was sentenced in 2013 to 20 years in prison, minus time served while waiting for trial, no one affiliated with the victim was particularly happy about it. A binding deal had been struck, with Jacque Waller's family's consent, that charges of first-degree murder and tampering with evidence would be reduced to second-degree murder. ...
Your weather for May 24
Tuesday and Tuesday night will be mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 5 p.m.; the high will be near 84 and the low around 67. Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance for showers and thunderstorms on Wednesday with a high near 85 and a south wind 7 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph then becoming partly cloudy Wednesday night with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms with a low around 69. ...
Allen Boulevard southbound closed in Sikeston
SIKESTON -- Effective immediately, the southbound lane of Allen Boulevard will be completely closed due to a water leak.
All motorists and residents in the area are asked to use alternative routes to avoid this site.