[Nameplate] Fair ~ 79°F  
High: 92°F ~ Low: 73°F
Thursday, Aug. 25, 2016

Two are sought in weekend stabbing

Monday, January 12, 2004

MINER - Authorities are seeking warrants for the arrest of two persons involved in a knife assault on a Poplar Bluff man.

At approximately 11:39 p.m. Friday, Miner Police were called to the Best Western on South Interstate Drive to investigate a stabbing.

Miner Chief of Police Roger Moore said when officer Joe Smith arrived on the scene he observed a large amount of blood coming from victim's neck area. The victim, later identified as Christopher Morris, 39, of Poplar Bluff, was taken to Missouri Delta Medical Center by ambulance for treatment of a knife wound across the neck.

In his investigation, Smith was told by an employee of the motel, the victim had walked into the business from Interstate 55 with the wound. The employee called police and 9-1-1 for emergency medical services

During an interview with officers, Morris stated he had met the male suspect at the Westwood Billiards in Poplar Bluff and the two had planned an evening out together. The pair then stopped at a nearby apartment and were joined by the female suspect.

As Morris drove, the female was in the front seat of the vehicle and the male was riding in the back. According to the police chief, Morris told law enforcement officers that as he drove the vehicle onto Interstate 55 from Highway 60, the male reached around from the back seat and cut Morris' throat. Moore estimated the knife wound was a four to five-inch laceration starting at the victim's Adam's apple going to the right side of the neck.

When he was attacked, the victim stated he slowed his car down. As he attempted to flee the vehicle Morris received stab wounds to his back and defensive wounds to his hands from his assailant. The suspects then drove off in Morris' car leaving him stranded along the Interstate.

Morris stated he tried to flag down several cars on interstate for help but when the vehicles failed to stop he then walked the quarter of a mile to the motel for help.

"We don't think there was an argument but there were some other things going on," said Moore about what may have prompted the incident.

The vehicle was later recovered in Morehouse by police and is being processed for information. No weapon has been located.

Moore said officers have identified the suspects in the assault and will release their names after warrants are obtained from Scott County Prosecutor's office.

The victim was treated for his injuries at Missouri Delta Medical Center in Sikeston. Moore stated the man checked himself out of the hospital Saturday evening and is continuing to assist police in their investigation.