[Nameplate] Partly Cloudy ~ 91°F  
Feels like: 102°F
Wednesday, Aug. 24, 2016

Cape rallies past Sikeston, 62-58

Sunday, February 15, 2004

Sikeston's Trey Spence drives around Cape Central's Todd Ebergoenner.
CAPE GIRARDEAU - With the school suspending three of their top players, Friday night's game against the Cape Central Tigers was about as evenly matched as Sikeston could hope for.

With the exception of Tiger star senior Ryan Delph.

Delph, who is third on the all-time Cape Central scoring list, pumped in 15 of his game-high 26 points in the fourth quarter to lead the Tigers to a 62-58 come from behind victory over the Bulldogs.

It's the first time Cape Central has defeated Sikeston since 1999, snapping a string of seven games.

Delph canned 16-of-19 from the free throw line to lead the Tigers, who are without the services of 6-foot-8 center Scott Chestnutt, point guard Will Johnson and forward Mitch Craft for breaking team rules two weeks ago.

"They still have some outstanding players remaining," said Sikeston head coach Gregg Holifield. "Delph is a good player, (Jake) Knepp and those other guys can play. They're veterans with experience, they've been on the court for three years for them. I think that showed tonight because they advantage of some things late."

Knepp, a senior, only scored five points but was a force on the defensive end, recording several steals and deflections.

Sikeston (5-14, 1-4 SEMO Conference) appeared to be in good shape when it took a 57-54 lead on sophomore Kash Bratcher's two free throws with 1:38 remaining.

Cape Central (17-6, 4-2 SEMO) got a basket from Delph to cut it to 57-56. Seconds later, the Bulldogs turned the ball over.

Sikeston then fouled Garrett Ozbun, who made one free throw, missed the second, only to see Delph grab the offensive rebound and putback to give the Tigers a 59-57 lead.

Sikeston then turned the ball over again, leading to another Tiger free throw, giving Cape Central the lead 60-57.

On the ensuing possession, Central fouled Bratcher for a one-and-one free throw. He made the first to cut the lead to 60-58. He missed the second, but Sikeston's Tyler Woodson grabbed the offensive rebound, but missed the putback.

It led to a wild sequence of two offensive putback attempts for Sikeston's Freddie Wiggins, but none would fall.

"They got several shots from point blank range," said Cape Central head coach Derek McCord. "Freddie Wiggins is as intense a rebounder as anybody I've seen for 5-11 or 6-foot. He plays much bigger than that."

Delph finally cleared the rebound and was fouled. He sank two free throws to go ahead 62-58 with 12 seconds left to clinch the victory.

"It was just one of those things," said Holifield. "We couldn't get the putback in. We were right there on two or three opportunities but couldn't get it to fall."

Sikeston came out of the gates on fire, taking an 8-0 lead on a Marcus McCaster 3-pointer with 4:35 left in the first.

The Bulldogs led by as much as 11-2 after another McCaster 3-pointer before Cape cut it to 15-9 after one.

"The first quarter in recent weeks has been an Achilles heel for us," said McCord. "We came out snake-bit once again and didn't get out and contest shots. We knew Gregg's bunch could really shoot the three well. We looked at it on tape and talked about it, and we were still late getting out there a couple times."

Cape Central took its first lead of the game at 24-23 on two Tyrone Reece free throws with 2:27 left in the half.

The Tigers led 29-27 at halftime.

Sikeston was able to take a 42-40 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

The Tigers led by as much as six at 51-45 with just three minutes remaining in the game, but the Bulldogs went on a 12-3 run highlighted by back-to-back 3-pointers by Bratcher and McCaster to retake the lead.

But the Bulldogs couldn't close it out.

"I thought our effort was good -- we made some mistakes late, but we're young and we'll learn from it," said Holifield. "I'm very proud of our team, we're battling and competing and they're doing what I want. We're getting better every day."

The Tigers got a big lift out of Reece, who scored 15 points off the bench.

"Tyrone Reece was probably the surprise of the game," said McCord. "He's a guy that we had as a point guard on our jayvee. He comes in the second quarter, hits two 3s, and scores 10 points in the second quarter."

Sikeston was led by McCaster's 14 points and five assists. Bratcher finished with 12 points, five assists and four rebounds.

Sophomore Trey Spence had 10 points and three steals. Freshman Joe Lincoln had nine points.

The Bulldogs were 8-of-25 (32 percent) from 3-point range. They out-rebounded the Tigers 30-to-19.

"Give Sikeston credit, I think the future's bright," said McCord. "Any time you've got guys that are stepping up like the freshman Lincoln and Kash Bratcher, that's an indication of a good program and not that you just have good players."

Sikeston played Parkway Central on Saturday. Results from that game will be in Monday's edition.

Cape Central will play at Charleston on Tuesday at 6 p.m.

Sikeston's jayvee team improved to 12-4 on the season and 2-3 in the conference with a 42-40 win against Cape Central (14-7, 4-2 SEMO).

Sikeston led 19-11 after one quarter and 28-19 at the half. The Bulldogs maintained a 35-27 lead heading into the fourth quarter before holding off the Tigers' rally.

Bulldog freshman Josh Jackson provided the game-winning shot with a driving layup with 0.7 seconds left.

Sikeston was led by sophomore Andrew Sales with 10 points, 10 rebounds and three steals.

Freshman Julian Beard followed up with nine points, four rebounds, five assists and five blocked shots. Freshman Tarryl Booker chipped in with seven points and four rebounds.