[Nameplate] Mostly Cloudy ~ 73°F  
High: 89°F ~ Low: 73°F
Saturday, Aug. 27, 2016

Ward filing begins Tuesday

Thursday, October 17, 2002

SIKESTON - Sikeston's next step toward a larger city council and the ward system happens at 8 a.m. Tuesday when filing for the April 8 municipal election begins.

In April, voters will elect their first at-large mayor for a three-year term. Residents of Wards 2 and 3 - the northeast and southeast areas of the city - will also each elect a representative for a three-year term.

Candidates for the coming April election must have lived in the city for no less than one year prior to the last date to file for candidacy and must be at least 21 years of age and a qualified voter of the city.

Those running for ward seats must also have resided in their respective wards for no less than one year prior to the last date to file for candidacy. They must also be current on all municipal taxes, fees and fines.

At the time of filing, they will receive a booklet entitled "Summary of Conflict of Interest and Campaign Finance Laws," according to Carroll Couch, city clerk. Documentation of their receipt of the materials will then be filed with the Missouri Ethics Commission.

"They will be required to file a financial disclosure statement no less than 14 days from the closing date of filing for candidacy," Couch added.

Candidates may file for the offices through 5 p.m. Nov. 19. There is $15 filing fee.

If there are more than two candidates running for any one position, a primary election will be held Feb. 4.

In 2003, Sue Rogers and Phil Boyer will remain on the Council as at-large representatives. Jerry Pullen will continue his term serving as the representative for Ward 1 and Michael Harris will remain on the council serving as the representative for Ward 4.

Sikeston's Home Rule Charter will go into full effect during the first meeting of the newly elected Council in April.

Individuals interested in running for any of these three positions need to contact Sikeston City Clerk Carroll Couch at 471-2512 or in person at City Hall, 105 E. Center St., for specific filing instructions.