The Sikeston Area Chamber of Commerce's monthly meeting Thursday included a presentation to the youngsters who participated in the Cal Ripkin World Series and five local business were honored for their role in the community.
State Rep. Peter Myers presented a proclamation to the coaches and players on the 12-year-old and under All Star Team. The youngsters dominated local and regional play, earning the right to compete in the World Series competition.
The Chamber in conjunction with the Sikeston Department of Economic Development honored five Sikeston companies as the Businesses of the Year 2002. Selected as honorees were Burch Food Services, Cott Beverages, Good Humor-Breyers, Missouri Delta Medical Center and the Standard Democrat.
Prior to a video presentation, Sikeston City Councilman Mike Marshall explained while the city is actively trying to recruit business to the area "at the same time we don't want to take for granted the businesses we have here in town."
The videos, created by Sikeston High School students, provided an inside look at the operations of each facility with a voice-over explanation of the company, its products and its philosophy. The videos will be shown on SPS Channel 12.
Following the video presentation, each honoree received a plaque.
Chamber Executive Director Missy Marshall noted several upcoming events including:
* The Communitywide Clean-up will bgin with registration at 8:30 a.m. Saturday. Volunteers are still needed and should meet at the former OFM building on Compress Road. Shifts are planned from 9 a.m. to noon and from 1 to 3 p.m. with persons asked to volunteer for either time or both. A sack lunch will be provided volunteers from noon to 1 p.m.
* The Business Research Institute Annual Banquet begins at 6 p.m. Saturday at the Ramada Inn and will feature Joseph L. Driskill, director of the Department of Economic Development, and Sen. Maida Harrington-Coleman. For tickets or information call the Business Research Institute at 471-5791.
* The Missouri Delta Medical Center's "Blast from the Past" fund-raiser is also Saturday. Ticket information is available by contacting the MDMC Foundation office.
* The public is encouraged to attend a Veterans Day Ceremony at 9:45 a.m. Nov. 11 at the Sikeston Field House.
* The Farmer's Recognition Banquet will be Nov. 21. The annual event honors four farm families from the area. Tickets are available at the Sikeston Chamber office.