In 2002, Missourians threw away 1.09 tons of waste per person which is down from 1.33 tons per person in 1990. However, the amount of trash generated statewide has increased from 10.6 million tons in 2001 to 10.9 million tons in 2002.
The Missouri Department of Natural Resources offers these tips for recycling:
* Order in bulk; * Use two-sided printing; * Reuse office scrap paper for copying internal memos and documents or for scratchpads;
* Conduct only "green" meetings using reusable cups, glasses, plates and utensils;
* Buy rechargeable ribbon cartridges for typewriters and printers.
* Buy in bulk;
* Buy concentrated products; * Avoid purchasing over-packaged products;
* Buy refillable or reusable containers;
* Donate old magazines to nursing homes or hospitals; * Remove your name from mailing lists you no longer want to receive by writing to the Direct Marketing Association, Mail Preference Service, P.O. Box 9008, Farmingdale, NY 11735-9008.