[Nameplate] Fair ~ 79°F  
High: 92°F ~ Low: 73°F
Thursday, Aug. 25, 2016

Cape Central pulls away from Sikeston

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Sikeston's E.C. Atchison (1) steals the ball away from Cape Central's Ryan Ponder (22) in Tuesday's match
(Photo by David Jenkins, Staff)
SIKESTON -- Sikeston's defense played Cape Central perfect for one half in Tuesday's soccer match. It was the second half that killed them.

The Tigers netted three goals and took advantage of an own-goal to beat the Bulldogs 4-0.

"We played really well in the first half," said Sikeston coach Derrick Long. "We even outshot them in the first half, and shutting them out for 40 minutes is a big deal. This is a pretty stacked team we were playing. We're starting to use a different formation and it worked pretty good today."

After a scoreless first half, Calen Willis gave Cape the lead at 52 minutes with a goal assisted by Heath Orr. Two minutes later, Sikeston kicked the ball in its own net to make it 2-0.

At 67 minutes, Willis scored his second goal unassisted. Ryan Ponder scored Cape's final goal with an assist from Orr.

"We got a little tired in the second half, so we'll have to work on our endurance a little," said Long. "We had a couple of letdowns in the backfield. After they scored that first goal, we kind of got down mentally and made some dumb mistakes. We fought hard the entire game. We had a couple of opportunities to put one in, but it just didn't go our way."

Cape had 22 shots on goal while Sikeston had 18. Sikeston keeper Jason Deere had 17 saves while Cape's goalie Tony Leuckel had 18 saves in the shutout.

"We blocked a lot of shots with our defenders where they didn't get to our keeper," said Long. "Brad Deere and E.C. Atchison controlled the middle and did a good job."

Sikeston (2-4-1) will travel to Kennett on Thursday.

Sikeston lost Tuesday's junior varsity game 3-0. The Tigers saw all three goals from Devon Edmonds. Cape Central outshot Sikeston 18-8. Sikeston keeper Cody Cooper recorded 14 saves.

The junior varsity squad falls to 2-2 with the loss.