(Photos by David Jenkins, Staff)
SIKESTON -- The Sikeston girls tennis team saw its season come to an end Tuesday morning in the Class 1 regionals, losing 5-2 to the Kennett Lady Indians.
Sikeston got a singles win from Jenni DeWitt, who beat Brook Burcham 6-0, 6-0 to keep her undefeated singles streak alive.
"Jenni was on today and played singles great," said Sikeston coach Lynne DeWitt.
DeWitt and doubles partner Campbell Moore were also victorious over Kennett's Susan Shetley and Burcham 6-2, 6-3.
Notes -- The Lady Bulldogs' district title last week was the first by any girl's team at Sikeston since 1991 -- Two matches weren't finished on the day because once a team gets to five wins, all matches stop -- Kennett will now play at John Burroughs on Saturday morning against the winner of Clayton and University City.
1. Jenni DeWitt (S) def. Brook Burcham (K), 6-0, 6-0
2. Campbell Moore (S) vs. Hanna Lack (K), DNF
3. Megan Underhill (S) vs. Christy Doughten (K), DNF
4. Susan Shetley (K) def. Hannah Moore (S), 6-2, 6-2
5. Megan Walker (K) def. Caroline Murray (S), 6-0, 6-1
6. Anna Grantham (K) def. Jacarra Lampkin (S), 6-1,6-2
1. DeWitt/C. Moore (S) def. Shetley/Burcham (K), 6-2, 6-3
2. Lack/Doughten (K) def. Underhill/H. Moore (S), 6-2, 6-0
3. Walker/Grantham (K) def. Murray/Lampkin (S) 7-5, 6-1
Charleston 6, Dexter 3
CHARLESTON -- The Charleston Lady Bluejays advanced to sectionals on Saturday after defeating the Dexter Lady Bearcats on Tuesday.
Charleston got singles wins from Jordan Duenne, Lindsay Burke, Kayla McKenzie and Mary Kate Renaud and doubles wins from the team of Allison DeField/Duenne and McKenzie/Renaud.
Charleston will now travel to John Burroughs to take on the Bombers Saturday morning.
1. Amanda Dooley (D) def. Jade Schwieger (C) 6-1, 6-2.
2. Katelyn Heil (D) def. Allison DeField (C) 6-2, 6-0.
3. Jordan Duenne (C) def. Emily Vines (D) 6-3, 6-3.
4. Lindsay Burke (C) def. Kendra Rinehart (D) 6-0, 6-0.
5. Kayla McKenzie (C) def. Kristyn Lemons (D) 6-2, 6-1.
6. Mary Kate Renaud (C) def. Catherine Kinchen (D) 6-0, 6-1.
1. Dooley/Heil (D) def. Burke/Schwieger (C) 6-4, 6-3.
2. DeField/Duenne (C) def. Vines/Lemons (D) 6-1, 6-1.
3. McKenzie/Renaud (C) def. Rinehart/Kinchen (D) 7-6(8), 6-1.