[Nameplate] Fair ~ 73°F  
High: 92°F ~ Low: 69°F
Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2016

Woman faces trial on murder charges

Thursday, June 5, 2003

BENTON - A Sikeston woman will face trial on second degree murder charges following her appearance before Associate Circuit Court Judge David Mann at her preliminary hearing Wednesday.

Stephanie Miles, 28, is charged with the stabbing death of her estranged boyfriend, Sherman Baker, 34, also of Sikeston, during an altercation at 1:30 a.m. April 18 at 249 W. Kathleen. Her arraignment is set for June 26 in Division I of Scott County Circuit Court.

Sikeston Department of Public Safety detective Flint Dees was the only witness to testify during the hearing.

According to Dees, Miles was brought to his office and read her Miranda rights. "When she came to my office, at that time she did not know he had passed away," said Dees.

When Dees advised her Baker had died, "she was extremely upset," he recalled.

After about 10 or 15 minutes, Miles reportedly began to discuss with Dees "what led up to Sherman being there." The interview was video recorded and parts transcribed into a statement Miles signed.

According to Dees, Baker and Miles had agreed to let Baker have their son for his birthday the next day.

Miles delayed returning home to wait for Baker to finish visiting with Miles's sister and Tommy Miller as she did not want to have an argument with Baker about where she had been that evening. Once she had determined Baker had left, she went in.

"Mr. Baker came to the door approximately 15 minutes after she had been there," said Dees. He said Baker reportedly walking into the home uninvited.

After 20-25 minutes, Miles told Baker it was time to go. "She asked him to leave, he said he wasn't going to leave and he didn't have to leave," Dees testified.

Soon afterward, Baker agreed to leave and Baker and Miles hugged each other. Following the hug however, Baker shoved her back into a heater then stepped outside while Miles ran to the adjoining kitchen for a knife.

Baker was on his way back into the home when Miles met him with the knife at the front door where they struggled before falling and being separated.

According to Dees, Miles said she doesn't know how Baker ended up getting stabbed.

Baker's family and friends said it was some time before Baker was taken to Missouri Delta Medical Center. Emergency room personnel pronounced him dead there after resuscitation efforts failed.

Miles and Baker had three children together and a history of domestic violence dating back several years, according to DPS. Several reports were filed by Miles as a victim with some of the complaints resulting in warrants against Baker for assault.

An ex parte order filed in October 2002 by Miles against Baker was dismissed by her later that month.

Miles remains in custody at the Scott County Jail without bond.