[Nameplate] Fair ~ 88°F  
Feels like: 96°F
Sunday, Aug. 28, 2016

Sikeston men are headed for prison

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

CAPE GIRARDEAU - Two Sikeston men were sentenced to federal prison on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm.

Michael J. Grannan, 46, was sentenced in U.S. District Court to 30 months on one felony count of being a previously convicted felon in possession of a firearm in connection with an incident in Sikeston. He was sentenced Monday by U.S. District Judge Jean C. Hamilton.

On Aug. 7, 2002, a police officer made contact with Grannan following a complaint from a local retailer. The officer drove Grannan to his residence and received permission to search the room Grannan occupied. During the search the officer found a Jennings Model J-22 .22 caliber semi-automatic pistol which Grannan admitted was his.

Grannan was previously convicted on two separate occasions of possession of a controlled substance and felony theft.

Percy Baker Jr., 32, was sentenced to 18 months on one felony count of being a previously convicted felon in possession of a firearm. He was also sentenced in U.S. District Court Monday.

On Aug. 19, 2003, Baker was a passenger in a car stopped for a traffic violation in Sikeston. The car was searched during the stop and officers found a 9 mm semi-automatic pistol under the front seat. The pistol, which had been stolen, was loaded with six rounds of ammunition.

Initially all the occupants of the vehicle denied the pistol belonged to them. However, Baker later admitted the pistol was his.

Baker had been convicted in 2001 in New Madrid County of the felony of unlawful use of a weapon.

Also on Monday, Marcus Starnes, 29, pled guilty of one felony count of possession with intent to distribute five grams or more of cocaine base and one felony count of using and carrying a firearm during a drug trafficking crime.

On June 28, a Missouri Highway Patrol trooper stopped a vehicle for speeding while patrolling Interstate 55 in Scott County. Based on information obtained during the stop, both the driver and the passenger were searched.

Starnes, the passenger, was found to have a small bag of a substance which appeared to be cocaine base in his right front pocket. Also he had a loaded .32 caliber revolver.

After being analyzed by the Drug Enforcement Administration laboratory, the substance was found to be cocaine base. It weighed 5.8 grams.

Starnes now faces a maximum punishment of 40 years imprisonment and a $2 million fine on the drug charge and imprisonment of five years for carrying the firearm which would run consecutive to the first charge.

Ronald D. Moreland, 43, entered a guilty plea on Monday to the felony of being a previously convicted felon in possession of firearms and ammunition.

On Dec. 10, 2003, Moreland's residence was search by federal officers. During that search officers found three firearms and ammunition in Moreland's bedroom.

Previously convicted of the felonies of burglary and stealing and the felonies of receiving stolen property and stealing, Moreland now faces a maximum punishment of 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Sentencing in U.S. District Court for Moreland and Starnes is scheduled for Feb. 28.