SIKESTON - City board and commission appointments were the chief action items for Tuesday's special City Council meeting.
"It's that time of the year again," said Linda Lowes, director of governmental services.
Terms on the city's boards and commissions expire Monday. Lowes said it is important to make the appointments in September so appointees and their staff representatives are ready prior to October's meetings.
Before making appointments, council members adopted bills amending the appointment powers for the city's representatives on the Sikeston Area Higher Education Advisory Board and appointments to the city's Board of Municipal Utilities Commission and TIF Commission.
In previous language, the mayor made the appointments with Council's consent. The amendments give appointment powers to the full Council as recommended by Charles Leible, city counselor.
Reappointments and new appointments selected from current citizen resource bank applicants were:
* Full member Harvey Cooper and alternate member William Nace were reappointed by Council for the Board of Adjustments. Jessie Redd Sr. was selected to replace alternate member Mike Jobe. Board of Adjustments terms run five years.
* Council reappointed Mont Mitchell, Carl Muench and Norman Woods to the BOCA Board of Appeals for three-year terms, although Lowes will call to verify they will serve again.
A city resolution which limits BOCA Board of Appeals members to two terms was amended to provide for the reappointments in light of the fact that those are the three members that have shown up regularly to meetings and there are not enough resource bank applicants to fill all three vacancies.
* Council reappointed Joseph Blanton Jr. to the Board of Municipal Utilities for a four-year term.
* Larry Braden, Steven Arndt and Bob Depro were reappointed by Council to the Library Board for three-year terms.
* Council appointed Ron Payne II, David Friend and Dawn Burton to three-year terms on the Park Board.
* Council appointed Gary "Bo" Ozment and Robert Jenkins Jr. to the Planning and Zoning Commission for four-year terms.
* Sue Marble was reappointed by Council to the Public Safety Advisory Board for a three-year term.
Drew Juden, director of Public Safety, said the Public Safety Advisory Board was important to the "information flow" in addition to being used to hold public hearings required for grant applications and to bounce off DPS budget ideas. "Very seldom do we have anyone absent," said Juden.
* Council reappointed Sue Rogers, Jack Lopp and Bryan Snider to the Rental Ordinance Appeals Board and appointed Kelley Rushing and Jim Burden to fill expired terms. Full terms run for three years.
Friend said the Rental Ordinance Appeals Board only meets if a rental unit fails inspection and the landlord wants to appeal.
* Janice H. Barkett will fill the unexpired term of Thomas Watkins on the SAHEC Advisory Board. Watkins' term ends Dec. 31, 2004.
* Larry Braden was reappointed to a two-year term on the Sikeston-Miner Convention and Visitors Bureau Advisory Board.
* Council reappointed Terry Bryant and Jim Schwaninger to four-year terms on the Tax Increment Finance Commission.
* Council reappointed Steve Arndt and alternate member Larry Tetley to three-year terms on the Traffic Committee and appointed Lois McRill to fill the unexpired term of alternate Fred Steward who resigned.