[Nameplate] Partly Cloudy ~ 78°F  
High: 80°F ~ Low: 63°F
Thursday, July 31, 2014

Looking Back 7/17

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

60 years ago

SIKESTON - Pleas Malcolm, Sikeston postmaster, was slightly injured Saturday when he spilled insecticide in his eye.

40 years ago

SIKESTON - Mayor Kendall Sikes called a special meeting of church clergy and lay leadership Wednesday, then directed questions to them concerning substandard housing in the Sunset Addition. Forty-five members of the clergy and lay leadership attended.

20 years ago

SIKESTON - Over 100 persons attended the Sikeston Area Chamber of Commerce general membership meeting at Missouri Delta Medical Center at noon Thursday. Rodeo week promotions and information regarding the hospital were among items of interest during the meeting. Also, the Pride Award was presented to the First National Bank.


SIKESTON - The American Cancer Society's Jail and Bail raised its goal of $6,000 in pledges Thursday. More than 28 Sikeston residents were arrested, including the mayor, who was taken into custody by a mounted search party.

10 years ago

SIKESTON - Members of the Sikeston Bootheel Humane Society made an early morning run to Wal-Mart on Monday, but it didn't happen by chance. They received notice that through a grant, Wal-Mart has generously agreed to match the $800 made during Animal Health Center's annual Dog Walk conducted in May for the Sikeston Bootheel Humane Society.


SIKESTON - Rene De Groff, of West Frankfort, Ill., won the Super Pro Class in his 1967 Camaro Saturday, allowing him to ride home with $1,000 in his back pocket. The win also catapulted him back into the lead in the points standing.


NEW MADRID - A gas leak from a tractor-trailer tanker rerouted interstate traffic for more than three hours earlier today. At about 4 a.m., just north of New Madrid on Interstate 55, a driver discovered an argon gas leak. According to the New Madrid County Sheriff's Department, the driver was unable to stop the leak himself, and alerted authorities who called in a clean-

up crew. Argon gas is used in making light bulbs, and does not pose a serious danger.