[Nameplate] Fair ~ 88°F  
High: 89°F ~ Low: 73°F
Saturday, Aug. 27, 2016

Fenton sentenced to life in prison

Tuesday, March 18, 2003

ST. CHARLES - Troy Fenton, charged with the robbery of Super D in Sikeston, learned his fate Monday when he appeared before St. Charles County Circuit Judge Nancy L. Schneider.

On Jan. 9, Fenton was found guilty of robbery, two counts of armed criminal action and first degree assault of a law enforcement officer by St. Charles County jury. He requested the case be venued to that county from Scott County. Following three days of testimony by 18 witnesses, the jury deliberated for less than one hour before finding him guilty of all charges.

The case originated Oct. 10, 2001, when the Super D Pharmacy was robbed by Fenton. During the robbery, Fenton threatened Bridgette Johnson and Mike Tullis of Sikeston. After the robbery, he barricaded himself in a house on Little Street in the Mini Farms Subdivision and engaged in a shootout with police officers. During the shootout, Sikeston Department of Public Safety Detective Lt. Mark Crocker was shot in the lower right leg by Fenton. When he ran out of ammunition, Fenton surrendered to police.

According to the report from the court, security at the sentencing hearing was very tight. Only the attorneys and police officers were allowed in the courtroom. The St. Charles County Sheriff's Department reported that Fenton had made several threats to try to escape and would injure people in the courtroom. As a safety precaution, the judge ordered the courtroom emptied and the doors were locked.

Crocker testified in regards to his feelings of what sentence Fenton should receive. Testimony was also heard from DPS Sgt. Andy Cooper. He said that while he was transporting Fenton back to prison from court in Scott County, the suspect told him, "Tell the cop I shot that I didn't mean to shoot him in the leg. I meant to shoot him in his (expletive) neck."

Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Gregory Spencer tried the case on behalf of Scott County and argued vigorously for the sentence that was handed down to Fenton. "While it is impossible to prevent all crimes, one thing we can be sure of is that Troy Fenton will not harm another innocent civilian," he said.

Fenton earned consecutive sentences of life in prison for the first degree robbery charge; 50 years in prison for each of the two counts of armed criminal action; and life in prison for first degree assault of a law enforcement officer. Under Missouri law, a life sentence is considered to be 30 years. The sentences total 160 years, in addition to the 15 years he is already serving.

"Troy Fenton will begin serving his 160 year sentence sometime in 2017," Spencer said. "It is doubtful that Fenton will ever hear the word parole while he serves out the rest of his life in prison."

Spencer said he received tremendous assistance from the Sikeston Department of Public Safety and the Scott County Sheriff's Department. Assistance during the trial was also provided by the St. Charles County Prosecuting Attorney's office and St. Charles County Prosecutor Jack Banas. "This case was a shining example of what can happen when the law enforcement community in general works together to see that justice is done," Spencer added.

Since Fenton has an extensive criminal history, Schneider sentenced him as a prior and persistent felony offender instead of the jury recommending a sentence.

"Never has someone been more deserving of the full penalty of the law," noted Scott County Prosecutor Paul Boyd.