Mississippi County election roundup
CHARLESTON - There will be some choices to be made by voters in area towns when they go to the polls next Tuesday.
Charleston voters will select two of four candidates running for three-year terms on the city council.
Competing for the positions in the April 8 election along with incumbents James D. Conn and Marshall Currin are Tony Trousdale and John Tucker.
* East Prairie has three incumbents running unopposed for another two years in office: Gene Ditto for mayor, Shirley Pritchett for Ward 1 alderman and Keith A Grissom for Ward 2. Kevin P. Mainord is running without opposition in Ward 3 as the incumbent, Avery Hutcheson, did not file.
There are three choices for city collector with Tracy Grogan, Carol Marks and Mary Anne Mainord all running for the two-year term. The present city collector, Janice Drummond, is retiring.
* Anniston has only one choice on the ballot for mayor: Thomas Scherer. The term runs for two years. Also running unopposed for two-year alderman terms are Lena Brown in Ward 1 and Geraldine Griggs in Ward 2. There are no candidates running to serve two-years as city marshal.
* Incumbents running unopposed for two-year terms in Bertrand are: Charles McKinley for mayor, Danny Freeland for Ward 1 alderman and Dennis Quertermous for Ward 2 alderman.
* The Village of Pinhook has two two-year trustee terms up for grabs and two candidates to fill them: Vada Strayhorn and David R. Robinson.
* Essie B. Jones and Shonda K. Jenkins are running for the one-year unexpired term on Wilson City's Board of Trustees. Wilson City voters will also select three of the following candidates to fill full two-year terms on the Board: Angela D. Gary, Eddie Mae Washington, Charles Jackson and Jennie Latham.
* Sam Bowles is running unopposed in Wyatt's Ward 1 to fill a one-year unexpired alderman term. Dennis Hodges and Joey Cross are running for Ward 1's two-year full term. In Ward 2, Bill Franklin is unopposed in his bid for a two-year term.
* Running for director of the Mississippi County Ambulance District are Jeffrey Small and Chris Sanders.
* Mississippi County School District No. 1 voters will select two directors for three-year terms with Shelby Fox, Dr. Ron Peterson, Kay Johnson, Alberta B. Redd and Patrick Farmer running for the seats.
Ricky Penrod and Martin Lucas are the only two candidates running for the two openings on Mississippi County School District No. 2's Board of Education.
The two Kelly R-4 Board of Education seats are being sought by Mitchell Sander, Jim Simmons, Tony Powell and Joe Stuckey.
The school board terms run for three years.