[Nameplate] Fair ~ 86°F  
High: 91°F ~ Low: 72°F
Sunday, Aug. 28, 2016

Charges are filed against Madison

Monday, August 21, 2006

SIKESTON -- Charges were formally filed against a Sikeston man in the weekend shooting death of a Sikeston woman and the injurying of her boyfriend.

Robert Eugene Madison is charged with second degree felony murder, armed criminal action, assault in the first degree and burglary in the first degree in the shooting death of Shekiah Mitchell and injuring her boyfriend, Marcus Robinson, according to Scott County Prosecuting Attorney Paul Boyd. The second degree felony murder and armed criminal action charges could carry out to life sentences.

Madison is expected to be arraigned Tuesday or Wednesday, Boyd said. No bond is set, and Madison is being held in the Scott County Jail in Benton. Madison was arrested just before 7 a.m. Saturday by officers with the Sikeston Department of Public Safety after approximately a three-hour standoff at a house at 513 John R. Blvd.

The incident began at 11:38 p.m. Friday when DPS received a report of a shooting at 318 Dixie St.

Upon arrival, officers determined Mitchell had suffered several gunshot wounds, including a wound to the head. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Robinson had received a single gunshot wound to the side and was able to provide officers with information about the shooting and identified Madison as the perpetrator.

Robinson told officers Madison had entered his residence and began shooting at him and his girlfriend. He stated he had exchanged gunfire with Madison.

Robinson refused medical treatment at the scene and was taken to DPS Headquarters where he gave a full statement and provided a description of the subject.

At that time, the Southeast Missouri Major Case Squad was activated and officers from the Missouri State Highway Patrol, Scott County Sheriff's Office and the New Madrid County Sheriff's Office converged on the crime scene and began the investigation.

"As the investigation began to unfold, we started receiving leads indicating the whereabouts of Mr. Madison," said Sikeston DPS Director Drew Juden in a news release. "Several leads were followed up, and several times we were just minutes behind the location he had just left."

At approximately 3:08 a.m. Saturday, information was received that Madison was at a house on John R Boulevard that belonged to his mother. Officers staked out the location and observed Madison in the residence.

"Madison was given an opportunity to surrender but refused to do so, and then barricaded himself inside," Juden said. Once Madison had barricaded himself inside the residence, the DPS Special Operations Group was activated and the area was secured with the evacuation of several nearby homes.

The Department of Public Safety Negotiations Team began attempting to contact Madison via cell phone to get him to surrender. However, Madison had very limited dialog with the negotiators and refused to come out of the residence.

At approximately 4:57 a.m., the bomb robot was deployed to deliver specialized hostage negotiation phones inside of the residence. Upon the delivery of these phones, a single gunshot was heard from inside the residence.

Again negotiators tried to establish a dialog with Madison to get him to surrender and he again refused.

Shortly after 6 a.m., Juden said a decision was made to interject teargas into the residence. After the Special Operations Team administered teargas inside the residence, Madison came out, surrendering without incident.

Anyone with information about this incident or any other crime is encouraged to call 573-471-6200 or 573-471-1500. All communications are confidential.