[Nameplate] Fair ~ 77°F  
High: 88°F ~ Low: 68°F
Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2016

Murderer recaptured

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Richard Yang
SIKESTON - An international search for a Sikeston murder suspect has come to an end.

The apprehension of Richard Yang, wanted in connection with the July 4, 1998, knifing death of his wife, Louise Yang, was announced early Saturday by Richard J. Corvington, special agent in charge with the St. Louis Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and Sikeston Department of Public Safety Director Drew Juden.

Authorities said on Thursday the combined investigative efforts of DPS, the FBI's resident agency in Cape Girardeau and the FBI's legal attache offices in Beijing, China, and Mexico City and Guadalajara, Mexico, resulted in a lead to Yang's whereabouts.

"On Friday, April 15, 2005, at 3:30 p.m., the FBI's Guadalajara Legat office advised of an interview of a cooperating individual had resulted in the probable location of Richard Yang in Mexico," stated Juden in a news release. "At approximately 6:35 p.m., Yang was arrested."

Yang admitted his identity to authorities. He is in the process of being returned to Missouri to face charges.

Louise Yang had reportedly gone home the night of the murder when she was met inside by her estranged husband. The two apparently struggled and he chased her through the house stabbing her repeatedly and leaving a bloody trail.

Approximately 45 minutes after Yang stabbed his wife to death he called police stating: "I killed my wife."

Yang subsequently entered a guilty plea to a charge of second degree murder in Scott County. Allowed to post bond, he was released from custody until formal sentencing. Yang fled from the county in 1999.

After exhausting all local fugitive leads and determining that Yang had fled the state of Missouri, local authorities contacted the FBI. Yang was charged with unlawful flight to avoid prosecution by federal authorities.

Juden said the case was among those "cold cases" he and his staff have pushed to solve since he took over as director. The case received national media coverage from "America's Most Wanted" three different times which resulted in numerous leads throughout the country and overseas during several years.

"While leads from the television program did not directly lead to Yang's capture we believe the publicity lent a definite momentum to the investigation which kept Yang on the move," said Juden. "I think it goes back to - you can run but you can't hide."

Federal marshals are expected to return Yang this week to Cape Girardeau where he will be arraigned on the federal charge of flight from prosecution. He will then be released to Scott County authorities.