[Nameplate] Fair ~ 72°F  
High: 89°F ~ Low: 72°F
Saturday, Aug. 27, 2016

Dexter breaks loose in second half against Kennett

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Dexter's Derek Roberts catches a pass in front of Kennett defender Dontavis Jones.
DEXTER - After 24 minutes of play, the Dexter Bearcats cranked it up a notch against the Kennett Indians to get a 42-14 win in the district lid-lifter.

Dexter's first half was anything but a desirable performance for head coach Aaron Pixley and his staff as the 'Cats gave up a game-tying touchdown at the buzzer to send Kennett to the break with momentum.

Dexter would, however, return a different team in the second half, outscoring Kennett 28-0 for the win.

"We came out here and it was a very clear indication of the weight programs," said Kennett head coach Ronnie Jones. "For years we didn't have a freshman program and now we've got that reestablished and we're going in the right direction.

"Where we have five or six quality athletes, they have 15 or 20," he continued. "We played our tails off and did everything we possibly could for a half, but we just ran out of gas."

The "new season" started off emotionless for Dexter while the Indians were playing fired up football.

After pushing Dexter back 15 yards on a sack by Darius Shavers, the Indians forced a fourth-and-28 from the Kennett.

Dexter's Justin Foushee would punt the ball 32 yards and pin Kennett inside its own one yard-line.

Darius Shavers would pick up three yards on two attempts and on third and seven, then Alando Edwards broke loose for a 96-yard touchdown to put Kennett up 6-0.

The three-play 99-yard drive took only 1:39 off the clock and left 6:31 to play.

At the end of the quarter, Kennett still looked to be in the driver's seat, leading 6-0, but Edwards would cough up the ball on a run up the middle and Dexter's Derek Clark would recover.

After changing ends of the field at the quarter, Dexter's Kyle Espey would hit Derek Roberts for a 24-yard strike and score to tie the game up following a missed extra point.

After Scott Newell dropped Indians signal-caller Robert Lockett for a 4-yard sack, Dexter would force a Kennett punt - the first of seven on the night.

The ball swapped hands twice and Dexter (5-3, 1-0) went on a 10-play scoring drive that covered 40 yards and ate 4:24 off the clock, leaving 1:35 to play.

The score happened when Alex Becker punched through the middle for a pair of yards and the score.

Espey connected with Aaron Lavender for the two-point conversion to give Dexter a 14-6 lead over the Indians.

Starting from its own 49-yard line, Kennett was determined to stay in the game.

Dontavis Jones would hit Corderro Taylor for 20-yards to set up a touchdown of his own.

Lockett (6-16-4, 33 yards) would hookup with Jones for a 10-yard strike at the buzzer.

Edwards (12 carries, 100 yards) would run the ball in for two and knot the game up at the half.

"At half-time I was not happy," commented Dexter head coach Aaron Pixley. "You've just got to challenge kids whenever they play like that.

"You know they're better than that and we went in there and challenged them - they were pretty much dead the whole first half and didn't have much emotion at half-time either.

"The coaching staff challenged them," Pixley continued, "and they came out in the second half and took charge of the game and decided they wanted to execute a little better."

In the second half, the Indians were wore down by a more physical Dexter squad that got the job done on both offense and defense.

"In the second half, they physically outmanned us. That's not a disgrace to us, but a tribute to their program," Jones agreed.

Offensively, Dexter was ready to score early and often.

The Bearcats would notch a pair of scores in both frames of the half.

Defensively, Dexter would rob Kennett's passing game as they nabbed four interceptions in the half, which led to three of the four scores.

Kennett (1-7, 0-1) started off the half with the ball, but would be forced to punt.

Dexter would fail to pick up a first down and Justin Foushee would punt the ball away for the third time - and for the third time drop the ball inside the Indians' 20.

Foushee finished the night putting the ball on the Kennett 1, 15, 3, 4 and 39-yard lines, respectively, for 167 yards.

After getting the ball back, Dexter would quickly score its third touchdown of the night.

Alex Becker broke away for a 19-yard gain, his longest of the night, and the score.

Becker finished the night with 28 carries for 113 yards and a hat trick in the scoring column.

With a 21-14 lead, Dexter's pass defense would take over.

Josh Davis would get his first interception of the night when he picked off Robert Lockett at the Kennett 34.

The 'Cats would quickly draw blood as Derek Clark picked up 10-yards on the ground before Espey hit Derek Roberts for a 24-yard score.

With 11:00 left in the fourth, Lockett was picked off again - this time by Levi Rawson.

Rawson nearly scored a touchdown as he returned the ball 35 yards to the Kennett 1.

Becker would complete the hat trick with a one-yard dive for six.

Dexter now led 35-14.

Lockett was intercepted again by Davis on the 33.

Davis' return gave the 'Cats good field position on the 12, and Espey connected with Rawson for a 12-yard touchdown pass to make the score 42-14 after the kick.

Up next for Dexter is New Madrid County Central.

The Bearcats play host to the Eagles in their last home game of the season.

Kennett will celebrate senior night when it hosts the Perryville Pirates in week two of district play.

In other district action, Perryville defeated New Madrid County Central.