[Nameplate] Fair ~ 72°F  
High: 89°F ~ Low: 72°F
Saturday, Aug. 27, 2016

NMCC drops opener to Farmington, 38-18

Sunday, September 5, 2004

FARMINGTON -- After a 3-7 record this past season, the Farmington Knights couldn't get a better start on their new season.

The Knights defeated the New Madrid County Eagles with the score of 38-18.

The Knights started off the festivities in the first quarter.

Quarterback Stuart Sago made the Eagles pay for leaving an open field unguarded as he ran for a 39 yard touchdown with 8:21 left on the game clock. The extra point was successful as the Knights took the lead, 7-0.

In the second quarter, the Knights got on board again with kicker John Roark nailing a field goal to extend the lead to 10-0 with 9:54 left on the first half.

The Eagles wouldn't give up, however, as Printice Willis ran one yard for the touchdown. Although the extra point attempt was no good, the Eagles got on the board and the lead was shortened with the score of 10-6.

The Knights managed to get one more touchdown before the half. DuJuan Glaspy went straight up the middle for the one yard he needed to get into the end zone with 36.2 seconds remaining in the half.

The third quarter started off on a tragic note for the Knights as the Eagles' Jeffrey McFarland ran the kickoff all the way back to the end zone with 11:48 remaining in the third quarter. Although the extra point attempt failed, the Eagles would not go down without a fight.

The score was now 17-12 in favor of the Knights.

The Knights fired back as running back Caleb Owens ended up in the end zone. Glaspy successfully ran the two point conversion in as the Knights stretched out their lead of 25-12 with 5:07 to go in the third quarter.

Glaspy ran another touchdown in for one yard with 3:06 left in the third quarter. Although the two point was a failure, the Knights stood strong with the lead of 31-12 after the third quarter.

The Knights would score one more time in the game. In the fourth quarter, Sago connected with Dwayne Glaspy for a 75 yard reception. Although stopped at the one yard line, Ribbing would rush in for the final touchdown for the Knights.

The two point conversion failed. With 10:47 left in the game, the Knights extended their lead again with the score of 38-12.

With 4:57 left in the game, Willis ran for 11 yards for the final touchdown of the game.

The two point conversion failed as the Knights still kept the lead with the score of 38-18.