[Nameplate] Fair ~ 82°F  
High: 88°F ~ Low: 61°F
Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2016

Bulldog soccer drops close match with Jackson

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Sikeston's E.C. Atchison (5) battles with a Jackson player for the ball.
SIKESTON -- Sikeston split its season series with Jackson when nipped 3-2 at the Sports Complex on Tuesday.

The Bulldogs (8-9-1) defeated the Indians 1-0 earlier in the season.

"Going into tonight, I knew it was going to be tough," said Sikeston coach Derrick Long.

"It's hard to beat a good team twice in the same season. Jackson's a great team. They've always been good and they're good again this year."

However, had it not been for an overruled Sikeston goal -- Long called it a "phantom" hand-ball call -- with less than two minutes remaining, it might have been a different story.

But the coach thought his team's defensive effort was lacking. "I would give us about a C- grade on defense tonight," said Long. "They got a lot more breaks than we've been giving teams this year. If it wasn't for (goalie Scott) Droddy back there, it could have gotten out of hand. He made some great saves."

Droddy had 14 saves on Jackson's 19 shots on goal. Sikeston had 17 shots.

Sikeston lit the scoreboard first on a penalty kick by E. C. Atchison at the 11-minute mark.

The Indians came back with a goal by Tyler Buessink off an assist from Tyler Sprandel to tie it at the 18-minute mark. The 1-1 score stood at the half.

In the second half, Chris Crossett found the net off an assist from Andrew Schlick to send Jackson ahead 2-1 at the 57-minute mark.

The Bulldogs knotted the score at 2 on Blake Taylor's breakaway shot off a cross by J. R. Bizzell with about 14 minutes to go.

"It was one of those games where whoever put one in last was going to win," said Long.

Unfortunately for the Bulldogs, it was Jackson's Chris Bramlett's shot that proved to be the game winner with six minutes left. Schlick assisted on the play.

The Sikeston junior varsity (4-10-1) lost 2-0.