NEW MADRID - While there are no countywide races to draw voters to the polls on Tuesday, some contested local races are creating interest in the county. Morehouse and Matthews have races for mayors and the New Madrid County R-1 and Gideon school districts have contested seats.
* No one filed for the open term as Ward 1 alderman in Canalou, Gary Deen is seeking the opening for Ward 2 alderman.
* Catron residents will pick three trustees with three persons seeking election. The candidates are Danny L. Pride, Lee Boyd and Carol Givens.
* Debbie Montgomery and Eddy Moore are vying for the opening as Ward 1 alderman in Gideon for a full term. Eric Johnson is the sole candidate for an unexpired term in Ward 1. There are three candidates - Lindal Cossey, Heather Skidmore Hitt and Lee Downing - for the Ward 2 alderman job in Gideon.
* The races are uncontested in Howardville. On the ballot are: Tommie Fountain, Ward 1 and Albert Mead, Ward 2.
* In Lilbourn, incumbents are not running in either race to serve two years terms on the Board of Aldermen. Larry Jackson, Grady Williford and Johnnie Baker are seeking the Ward 1 seat. Dan Ruark and Micheal Roberts are the candidates in Ward 2.
Lilbourn voters will also pick a candidate to fill the one-year unexpired city marshal term. Joshua Jinks, who was appointed to fill the unexpired marshal term, and Donald Deprow Jr. are seeking election.
* Voters in Marston's 1 Ward will chose between incumbent Allen Leon Hampton and Junior Phillips for the Board of Aldermen. Those in the Ward 2 will pick either Bill Poley or Debra Jean Hayes because incumbent, Donald Ferguson, did not file.
* Two people are seeking the job of mayor of Matthews. Incumbent Gene Curtis is being challenged by Thomas "Bud" Armstrong.
There are races in each ward as well. Jim Burch and Joe Sparks are vying for a two-year term on the Board of Alderman in Ward 1 while in Ward 2, the candidates are Harland Gilmer Jr. and Rodney Dunlap.
* In Morehouse Pete Leija will face Jimmy Chaffin on the ballot in his bid for another term as mayor. Filed for city collector are incumbent Karen Williams and Shannon McCoy. Jackie Hays Jr. has filed for city marshal against incumbent Trish Cohen. The Ward 2 incumbent, Gerald Williams, will have one opponent, Eddie Stinnett.
The city's Ward 1 incumbent, Judy Gosnell-Greene, is without any opponents on the ballot as is Angela Webb, the incumbent municipal judge.
* In New Madrid, there is a three-way race for the one year remaining in the unexpired term as mayor between Glen W. Medlin, Russell J. Riggs and Donnie Brown. Former Mayor Mark Baker resigned to serve as a county commissioner creating the vacancy.
Unopposed incumbents for new two-year terms on the New Madrid Board of Aldermen are Howard Crisler in Ward 1 and Dwayne Stanley in Ward 2.
In Ward 3, incumbent Gary "Doc" Cowan did not file, leaving a race between Margaret Palmer and Tony Maltbia.
Also New Madrid voters are being asked to approve a 21 cent increase in the tax levee for the next four years.
* The Village of North Lilbourn has two candidates on the ballot for trustees, Barry Martin and John Richard Hughes.
* Neither candidate on the ballot in Parma faces opponents. Oscar Sapp is the Ward 1 candidate and in Ward 2, Simon Wofford is seeking election.
* J.D. Patton is the only candidate running for a two-year term of office as Portageville's mayor. Patton was appointed to serve until the election.
Jake Rone and Vincent Berry are candidates in Ward 1 for a two-year term on the city's Board of Aldermen. The incumbent, James Williams, did not file for re-election.
In Ward 2, incumbent Ervin Gremard has no opposition for a two-year term.
Incumbent Ronnie Adams is unopposed for four more years as police chief.
* Risco's ballot has only one person seeking election for each office. Candidates are: Nina Cumins, marshal; Julian Miller, East Ward alderman; and Alta Rader, West Ward alderman.
* No one filed as a candidate to serve as Tallapoosa's city marshal but in the South Ward there are three candidates for the two-year term on the board of aldermen including Alice Darmofal, Donna Roberts and Orville Roberts. Jack Clark is the sole candidate in the North Ward to serve on the board.
* In the Gideon 37 School District, four people are running for three vacant seats on the school board. Devon Buchanan was the only incumbent seeking re-election as current members Rick Branch and Steve Richardson chose not to run again. Courtney Boone, Kevin Lawrence and Tim Winchester are the others on the ballot.
* Voters in the New Madrid County R-1 School District will choose three of five candidates. Those running include incumbents, Scott Riley and Don Brittain, along with Marvelle Cranford, Ralph Borton and Kay Rebstock. Long-
time board member John Davis did not to refile.
* In Portageville, incumbents secretary Tina DeLisle, president Mark Moody and member Lynda Priggel are the only candidates so there will not be an election.
* Risco R-2 board members Mark Halford, Keenan Carlisle and Jim King will be back for three more years.