[Nameplate] Fair ~ 82°F  
High: 90°F ~ Low: 72°F
Friday, Aug. 26, 2016

Late errors cost 'Dogs in tourney

Monday, April 11, 2005

HEATH, Ky. --

The Sikeston Bulldogs came out of the McCracken County Wooden Bat Tournament with a 2-2 record, but the final game on Saturday left them with a bitter taste.

The Bulldogs held a 4-3 lead against Heath with two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning, but back-to-back errors allowed the Pirates to tie and win the game, 5-4.

The first error came with a runner on second base. Heath's Brandon Wright then popped it up on the infield for what seemed to be the game-ending out.

But somehow, with five players surrounding the ball, it fell to the turf, allowing the tying run to score.

The Bulldogs then intentionally walked Daniel Webb. Wright and Webb then stole second and third. But Sikeston appeared to get out of the jam with a short flyball to left field.

Shortstop J.R. Bizzell backed up and looked to be camped underneath the ball, but at the last second moved out of the way, allowing the ball to fall to the ground.

Wright came across with the winning run.

The odd-ball ending didn't sit well with Sikeston coach Kevin Self.

"We couldn't catch a freaking flyball," said Self. "Nobody wants it. We had two pop ups and we can't catch it. Not one single infielder wanted it. The middle infield has to make that catch. We pretty much just gave that game away. Communication --

we talk about it all the time. They're just not vocal enough. That will be corrected. We'll get better at that."

Sikeston led the entire game. Sophomore Josh Jackson gave the Bulldogs a 1

-0 lead with a solo home run to left field.

They extended the lead to 2-0 helped by three Heath errors as Tyler Baker came across to score when Bizzell's ground ball was mishandled.

Heath cut the lead to 2-1 on an RBI-single by Brian Austin.

Sikeston extended the lead to 3-1 as Cullen DeHart was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, allowing Bryce Wibbenmeyer to score.

Heath then tied the game in the bottom of the sixth.

Wright scored on a wild pitch and Chris Hampton's RBI-single brought home Warren.

Sikeston got the lead back in the top of the seventh as Wibbenmeyer came through with a clutch, two out RBI-single to bring in pinch runner Zach Brooks.

"We swung the bats well enough to win," said Self. "We figured out a way to score a run in the last inning. Bryce got a big hit to win the ball game and it should've won the ballgame. But we just gave it away. That's all you can say."

The Bulldog miscues -- they had four in the game --

spoiled a strong pitching effort by DeHart. He threw all seven innings and allowed seven hits, four of which were bunts. Only two runs were earned. He struck out two and walked one, which was an intentional pass.

Bizzell, DeHart and Wibbenmeyer each had two hits.

Baker reached base four times, including three walks, and had a run scored.

Ryan Dicus also had a hit.

In the earlier game on Saturday, Sikeston came from behind to defeat Clarksville (Tenn.) 6-5.

Dicus provided the game-winning hit with a single to left field with two outs, bringing in Richard Landers in the top of the seventh.

Clarksville led 3-0 at one point before Sikeston started to claw back.

After getting a run, DeHart blasted a two-run homer to centerfield to tie it up at 3-3.

DeHart was 2-4 with three RBIs. Ross Merideth was 2-3.

Others were Bizzell (1-3, 2 runs), Jackson (1-3, RBI, run), Baker (1-4) and Wibbenmeyer.

Jerod Scott was the winning pitcher, throwing all seven innings and allowing five runs (two earned) off eight hits. He struck out five and walked three.

"We played pretty well --

the whole tournament I thought we played pretty well," said Self.

Sikeston hosts Dexter today at 4 p.m.