EAST PRAIRIE -- An early morning house fire claimed the life of a rural East Prairie resident Saturday.
James Ray "Red" Phillips, 76, of the Dogwood community near East Prairie was pronounced dead at the scene about 6 a.m. by Mississippi County coroner Terry Parker.
Parker said no foul play was suspected, but an autopsy was conducted Saturday. The autopsy results showed the cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning.
The structure, which was a total loss, was located on Mississippi County Road 525, and the fire is under investigation by East Prairie Fire Chief John Gifford and the state Fire Marshall's office. Gifford could not be immediately reached today for comment.