[Nameplate] Fair ~ 82°F  
High: 88°F ~ Low: 61°F
Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2016

SHS surges past Dexter

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Sikeston's Michael Porter drives past Dexter's Drew Kelley.
DEXTER -- For two quarters Friday night the Dexter Bearcats matched the Sikeston Bulldogs point-for-point. But one shot seemed to change the momentum, helping Sikeston cruise to an 80-49 win.

Dexter's Drew Kelley hit a 3-pointer to put the Bearcats ahead 37-36 early in the third quarter, exciting the home crowd. However, seconds later, Matt Ritch returned the favor with a 3-pointer from the top of the key, sparking an 8-0 Sikeston run.

Sikeston continued to use the momentum from Ritch's shot as Michael Porter and Sherwin Jones each knocked down 3-pointers to go along with another Ritch 3-pointer to put the Bearcats away.

"We kind of built a lead there, got some energy and got going a little bit but not to take anything away from Dexter they really played well," said Sikeston coach Gregg Holifield.

"Matt and Sherwin, they're good shooters, if they have open they looks they've got great shots at knocking them down and we were just fortunate."

Sikeston players and rans react after Cal Llane throws down an alley oop slam dunk.
Fortunate as they were, as Dexter battled Sikeston evenly through two quarters of play. Every time the Bulldogs looked to make the run to put the game out of reach, the resilient Dexter squad came charging back with a run of their own.

"For two plus quarters I think we were right there punch-for-punch with them," said Dexter head coach Rob Nichols. "In the first half, they would get up seven or eight and our kids came right back. I was proud of our guys for fighting back in that first half.

"We had a little adversity with a technical foul but we dug deep and really, I think our kids surprised themselves a little bit."

The technical foul came after a foul call giving the Bulldogs an opportunity to shoot four free throws, subsequently giving Sikeston a three-point lead 30-27 after both Porter and Ritch each knocked down a pair of free throws.

The Bulldogs used this to motivate them to a 36-34 lead going into the locker rooms at halftime.

In the second half the Bulldogs clamped down on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball as they finally settled in after a resilient Dexter first half.

"Dexter came out with great intensity," said Holifield. "They are a well-

coached, hard-working team who is going to win a lot of games this year. Their hustle was unbelievable and they really impressed me.

"However, I was really proud of our kids in the second half. I thought we finally put it together and really played well in those quarters."

Sikeston's outstanding second half was an attribute to a barrage of 3-

pointers, a high flying arsenal, including an alley oop pass from Ritch to Cal Lane, and the presence of 6-6 junior Michael Porter who lead the Bulldogs with 25 points, 11 rebounds, seven assists and two blocks.

"When you play a team like that, your gonna hang around with them for so long before their athletes take over and that's what happened to us," said Nichols. "If there is a more athletic team on our schedule, I don't want to see them."

Jones finished the night with 15 points while Dominic Fondon, Matt Ritch each finished with 10 points apiece.

Dexter was led by Drew Kelley's 15 points.

Sikeston pulled down 41 rebounds in the game. Juqualin Wiggins and Fondon each finished with six to go along with Porter's 11.

The Bulldogs (2-0) will be back in action at home Monday night in the SEMO Conference Tournament when they play the Poplar Bluff Mules at 8:30 p.m. The Bearcats (0-2) will suit up earlier that day facing the Kennett Indians at 5:30 p.m.

In junior varsity action, Sikeston came away with similar results against Dexter, winning 50-32. Darryl Howard lead the way for the Bulldogs with 12 points.