[Nameplate] Fair ~ 70°F  
High: 92°F ~ Low: 67°F
Saturday, July 26, 2014

Swallowed by flame

Thursday, February 16, 2006

(Photo)
(Tim Jaynes, Staff)
A firefighter for the Sikeston Department of Public Safety is engulfed by flames from a backdraft while responding to a fire at 319 Kendall St. Wednesday. DPS responded to the call at 10:59 p.m. and found flames and smoke showing from the frame house upon arrival. The home's residents reportedly had all safely exited the structure before DPS arrived. Firefighters remained on the scene until 1:35 a.m. A spokesman for the DPS said it appears that the fire was started by unattended candle. Damage to the structure was described as considerable.