[Nameplate] Mostly Cloudy ~ 77°F  
High: 82°F ~ Low: 73°F
Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2016

As the smoke clears, stands are dismantled

Wednesday, July 6, 2005

Ashley Davis and Megan Knickman hand a table to Kevin Self and Garrett Self Tuesday at Groner's Fireworks City.
SIKESTON -- Once the smoke cleared from the previous night's Fourth of July festivities, local fireworks stand workers didn't waste time Tuesday morning dismantling their places of business.

After putting in a long day Monday, working until 11 p.m. or 11:30 p.m., Kevin Self and other workers at Groner's Fireworks City started cleaning up around 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Much of the hurriedness is due to respect for the surrounding businesses. For the second year, Wiese Planning and Engineering Inc. donated the use of land adjacent to its business located off East Malone Avenue.

"We figure they're nice enough to let us use this land, the least we can do is clean up as fast as we can," said Self, a manager of Groner's Fireworks City, which donates its profits to the Sikeston Bulldog Booster Club.

None of the local fireworks stands were open for business Tuesday -- they were just packing up and moving out.

"Basically we just come in and start taking inventory of everything we've got left," Self said.

Initially the fireworks stand receives its supply from a company based in St. Louis, which also distributes to other towns in the area, Self said. When the order comes in at the beginning of the season, inventory is taken, and then the day following the Fourth of July, inventory is taken again, he explained. "Once we get everything accounted for then whatever is left, we pack up the best we can and load it onto the truck and the company comes back and picks it up," Self said.

This year there weren't as many fireworks left over as previous years, Self noted.

"But we had enough -- You don't want to run out. We were still pretty full by late Monday although the supply was getting thin," Self said.

Running a fireworks stand for two weeks straight isn't the easiest job -- it's very time-consuming, Self pointed out.

At least Monday's late rain cooled things off long enough Tuesday for workers to pack fireworks up and take down the stands.

"I'm just glad when it's over," Self said.

Those with May's Brothers Fireworks and Kelly Booster Club fireworks stands were also busy Tuesday morning taking down their stands, also located on East Malone Avenue.

"We had a good year," Louis May said. "We pretty much sold out."