[Nameplate] Fair ~ 81°F  
High: 92°F ~ Low: 73°F
Wednesday, Aug. 24, 2016

Scott City comeback fall short against Fredericktown

Sunday, October 9, 2005

SCOTT CITY - Scott City scored a late touchdown but could not complete the comeback at home.

Ethan Watkins hit Jamie Pinkston for a 10-yard score with about 13 seconds remaining, and the two-point conversion put the Rams (2-4) down four. Fredericktown (2-4) recovered the kick to clinch the victory. Scott City was plagued on its final drive by two penalties after reaching the 1-yard line with a little more than a minute remaining.

Scott City scored first with a first-quarter touchdown run by Chris Blankenship. Fredericktown tied the score, then took the lead with a touchdown with seconds remaining in the first half.

Unofficially, Watkins threw for 113 yards on five of 13 passing. Cody Carlyle led the Rams in rushing with 76 yards, while Blankenship added 61 yards.

PERRYVILLE - This much the St. Vincent Indians and the Crystal City Hornets agreed on: Friday's Mississippi Area Football Conference small-school division game was not one for the scrapbook.

"It was ugly," St. Vincent Coach Keith Winkler said of his team's 21-0 victory. "We just kept shooting ourselves in the foot."

Crystal City outdid St. Vincent in that department.

Costly turnovers haunted the Hornets. St. Vincent picked off three passes and recovered a pair of fumbles.

"We had lots of chances. The ball was on the ground a whole bunch," Crystal City Coach Dan Ridgeway said.

When the Hornets bobbled the ball, the Indians made big plays to take it away. Waylon Richardet recovered a fumbled punt deep in Crystal City's end of the field in the third quarter, and Ben Buchheit grabbed a fumble that the Indians turned into their final score last in the game.

St. Vincent led 7-0 at halftime on a two-yard run by Dustin Winkler. The Indians added a 12-yard touchdown run by Tim Guilliam midway through the third quarter and closed the scoring with a one-yard run by Waylon Richardet.

St. Vincent improved to 4-2 overall and 3-0 in the MAFC. Crystal City slipped to 4-2 and 1-2.