[Nameplate] Partly Cloudy ~ 91°F  
Feels like: 102°F
Wednesday, Aug. 24, 2016

Sikeston season ends with loss

Friday, November 2, 2007

Bulldogs fall to Cape Central 27-20; finish with 2-8 record

CAPE GIRARDEAU -- The season came to a close on Friday night for the Sikeston Bulldogs football team, as they were handed their eighth-straight loss of the season at the hands of the Cape Central Tigers, 27-20 at Houck Stadium in Cape Girardeau. Both teams finished up the year with a record of 2-8.

"I tell you, we just didn't play for a quarter," Sikeston head coach Kent Gibbs said. "That second quarter we just didn't play. We told them at halftime, we come out and play and compete, and we can make a game of it."

The Bulldogs put up points first in the game, when quarterback Chase Ferrell connected with Demetrious Jackson for an 11-yard touchdown with 6:42 left to play in the first quarter. Ferrell's extra point attempt was no good, leaving Sikeston with a 6-0 lead after the first.

As Gibbs stated, it was all Cape Central in the second quarter, as they put up two scores. The first, came at 2:50, from the speed of Derek Walker, who broke down the sideline for the score from 15 yards out. Tyler McNabb booted in the extra point to give the Tigers their first lead.

Cape Central's second score of the second quarter came just about a minute and a half later, at 1:17, when second-string quarterback, Andrew Williams, hit first-string quarterback-turned wide receiver Chase Johnson from 16 yards out for the score. Again it was McNabb for the extra point.

Johnson and Williams split time the entire game behind center for the Tigers.

Cape Central was ahead 14-6 at half, but the Bulldogs weren't throwing in the towels just yet.

Sikeston was the first to the scoreboard in the second half, when at 8:23, Jarian Wims bolted down field for a 31-yard touchdown run. Ferrell's pass for the two-point conversion was no good, and the Bulldogs trailed 14-12.

Cape answered back just 35 seconds later at 7:48, when Johnson completed a touchdown pass to Raymond Woldtveet for 32 yards.

Sikeston's defender had a play on the ball, but the pigskin just slipped off the tips of his fingers and Cape Central caught a break and got the score.

"We had a chance for an interception down here," Gibbs said. "It comes off his fingertips and they score. But, I like how we went after the ball."

The Tigers added one more in the third quarter. At 2:49, Walker scored his second rushing touchdown of the game from 44 yards out. McNabb put his name in the score book again with the extra point.

Sikeston marched back down the field however, and with 7:18 left to play, Ferrell connected with Jackson again in the air, from 15 yards out this time, and after a successful two-point conversion run from Gavilan Bland, the Bulldogs were down just 27-20.

After a momentum-swinging defensive stand, where the Bulldogs held Cape Central on three straight rushing plays up the middle, the Tigers were forced to kick a field goal.

McNabb lined up and just hooked it left, giving the Bulldogs 2:43 left to work with to try to get in for the tie.

With Ferrell in the shotgun, he fired three passes that just missed completion, one going right through the hands of the Bulldog receiver.

Down to the fourth and final down, Ferrell dropped back and unloaded, and one of the big defensive linemen for the Tigers stuck a paw up and swatted the pass down to seal the victory for home team.

"Here late in the game we had a couple of passes that we dropped," Gibbs said. "Where, if we catch it, that's a touchdown. We competed, and that's big for me."

"I will say," he added, "I was real pleased with the way we played in the second half. The kids came back and played hard. We had a chance there at the end."

In the game, Ferrell was 6-for-18 passing, with one interception and two touchdowns, totaling 50 yards through the air.

Bland carried the ball 27 times for 157 yards, averaging 5.8 yards per carry, while the leading receiver for the red and black was Jackson, who caught just two passes for 26 yards, but both were for touchdowns.

Josh Pierce had one catch for 11 yards and Wims added 89 yards rushing on nine carries and a rushing touchdown.

On the winning side, Johnson was 7-for-11 passing, with 92 yards and two touchdowns, one passing and one receiving. Walker had 239 yards rushing on 26 carries and added two rushing touchdowns.

The Tigers other score came from Woldtveet, on his only reception.

Gibbs says he is hopeful about next season's squad, and says the keys to winning next year falls in the hands of the rest of the school year.

"Right now, we've got to develop that winning attitude," he said. "We've got to develop our strength, and if we can do that, and the kids will hang together, then we'll do well."

"We need a good basketball season," he added. "We need a good wrestling season and we need a good off-season conditioning program. We're going to do that and we'll see what happens."