EAST PRAIRIE -- The Eagles Aerie 4062 along with The Mississippi County Boxing Team will be presenting an exciting night of boxing in Dexter on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. There will be teams coming in from Jefferson City, Poplar Bluff, Mississippi County, St. Louis and Hannibal to produce some hard-core amateur boxing action.
"I am hoping for an exciting evening for all involved," said coach Brad Wick, about the upcoming show. "I would really love to see a packed house for this show, its all about the kids involved and getting it to where their home crowd can see them in action."
Mississippi County Boxing and the Eagles Aerie 4062 teamed up for this fundraiser to bring something a little different to the area. Also, with coach Wick wanting to expand his operations and hopefully get more youth involved with his program from all over the area. At this time, he already carpools with some of the youth from the Dexter area to the gym in East Prairie so they can train.
"Overall, I feel this gym has helped some kids out and gave them a different outlook on life, whether it has to do with boxing or not," said Wick. "They have learned a lot and the same goes for myself. I have no major background in the sport, no pro career for them to look up to, just someone who loves the sport as much as they do and is willing to take the time to get them involved with it. As long as I have a fighter in the gym that wants to train, I will train them. This will keep me active in the sport and keep the hopes that one day there might be a champion to come out of this community. I don't preach to kids, they don't want to hear the same thing over and over again. I teach them through an activity that can basically be a blueprint to life."
Almost all the people involved with the show coming up in Dexter are volunteers, including all of the coaches, doctors and officials. A lot of these folks come from as far as four to five hours aways to be here for these kids and that's a wonderful thing. This is what makes the sport so good for the youth, having people take time from their lives to make time for the youth in and around their communities.
So, whether you're a boxing fan or just interested in seeing what goes on in the sport, come on out to The Eagles Aerie 4062 on Saturday for the show. The ticket prices are general admission $5, ringside $10 and VIP $25 (includes ammenities). To reserve tickets, contact the Eagles in Dexter 573
-624-1688 or contact Coach Wick at 573-380-0383. Come on out and support these two great organizations.
The fight card for the evening looks like this;
1. Tyler"Lil Dynamite" Latamondeer/MCB vs. Armondo Reeves/Jefferson City
2. Billy Mace/MCB. vs. Tucker Davis/KO Fight Gym
3. Kaleb Johnson/KO Fight Gym vs. David Miller/Jefferson City
4. Kenny Williams/KO Fight Gym vs. Kevin Nichelson/Hannibal
5. Steve Wilson/Jefferson City vs. Teddy Kealen/Hannibal
6. Roger Achter/M.C.B. vs. Austin Flores/KO Fight Gym
7. Robert Collier/KO Fight Gym vs. James Dickson/M.C.B.
8. Adam Johnson/Hannibal vs. Matt "The Man"Gephart/M.C.B. (4 round bout)
9. Michael Warren/MCB vs. Desmond Mcdowell/KO Fight Club
10. Charlie Pollack/M.C.B. vs. Gary Story/Hannibal
11. Eric Kidd/Jefferson City vs. Tyler Russom/KO Fight Gym
12. Joe Federer/Fiore's Boxing vs. Jeremy Morgan/Hannibal
13. Chad Veza/Jefferson City vs. Sherwood Smith/KO Fight Gym
14. Cedric McCrary/Jefferson City vs. Mario Robinson/KO Fight Gym
15. Chris"Hands Of Stone" Gephart/MCB vs. Robert Warren/Jefferson City (Heavyweights)
*Fight Card subject to Changes