"We exceeded my expectations today," said Sikeston coach Brian James. "I thought we played great."
In their first matches of the day, Sikeston downed a very good Parkway West team 5-4. Sam Zhao, Charlie Jones, Justin Deere and Seth Colwick all picked up singles wins for the Bulldogs while the doubles team of Zhao and Clay Matthews also were victorious.
"Against Parkway West, Seth Colwick stepped up when we had to have it and won that last singles match to give us the win," James said. "That was a good win against a very good team. I could see the improvement over the course of the day.
"We're starting to win big points at big times and that's a sign you're getting better. Everybody really stepped up today against some really good competition."
In their second match of the day, Sikeston downed Eureka 7-2. Logan Hampton, Jones, Justin Deere and Seth Colwick all won their singles matches while the Bulldogs won all three doubles matches.
"Eureka has a very solid squad, made up of all freshmen and sophomores." James said. "Their number one player is a freshmen and he is tough as nails."
In other action, Cape Central beat Eureka 6-3 but lost to Parkway West 6-3.
James said he was pleased with how his team has improved. "We played so much better today, so much more under control. The other day against Cape, we were emotional; today we were level-headed and I think our results were better because of it."
Sikeston will be back in action today at Charleston.
Match 1 vs. Parkway West
1. Sam Zhao def. Carr, 6-2, 6-2
2. Clay Matthews lost to Dixon, 6-2, 4-7 (9-11)
3. Logan Hampton lost to McQueen, 0-6, 2-6
4. Charlie Jones def. Mowery, 6-0, 6-1
5. Justin Deere def. Pappas, 6-2, 6-2
6. Seth Colwick def. McAllister, 6-3, 1-6, (10-6)
Zhao/Matthews def. Carr/Dixon, 8-3
Hampton/Jones lost to McQueen/Mowery, 2-8
Deere/Colwick def. Browne/McAllister, 4-8
Match 2 vs. Eureka
1. Zhao lost to Carlos Espinosa, 2-6, 6-7(4-7)
2. Matthews lost to Farnham, 6-2, 4-6 (8-10)
3. Hampton def. Baker, 6-0, 6-1
4. Jones def. Ebert 6-1, 6-1
5. Deere def. D'Angelo 6-0, 6-0
6. Colwick def. Richmond 6-2, 6-2
Zhao/Matthews def. Espinosa/Farnham, 8-5
Hampton/Jones def. Baker/Ebert, 8-1
Deere/Colwick def. D'Angelo/Barker, 8-4
JV winners: Landon Hampton