Nobody asked me but...it is time for the real Sikeston Bulldogs basketball team to stand up.
Right or wrong, expectations for this team were high after last year's run to a second place finish in Class 4.
Note to Sikeston's players, it is not last year. Your opponents are taking their games to another level. That bullseye on your back is the size of Texas.
Sikeston seniors need to take charge and lead this team. I thought there wasn't anything wrong just a couple weeks ago. But now I'm not so sure.
Something is definitely wrong and it will have to be fixed. If changes aren't made, particularly in attitude, Sikeston will be watching Notre Dame celebrate a district championship at the Field House. At this rate, I'm not so sure Sikeston can even win its first round district game, much less get to the district final.
Sikeston needs to develop a killer instinct and a sense of urgency. Don't let the season slip away with unfulfilled potential.
* Scott Central is the most entertaining boys basketball team going right now. After the loss to Charleston, the Braves had an impressive run through the Scott-Mississippi Conference Tournament averaging around 90 points per night.
Every time I see sophomore Drew Thomas play for Scott Central, he plays like the wolf in the "Teen Wolf" movie and just dominates the action. With a nice inside-outside game, Thomas has got to be considered one of the best sophomores in the area.
Scott Central and Bell City should roll through their respective districts in Class 1, setting up a must-see sectional matchup.
* Speaking of sophomores, the top five that I have seen play in the area...
1. Michael Porter, Sikeston
2. Drew Thomas, SCC
3. Antonio Riggens, Charleston
4. Austin Greer, Notre Dame
5. John Unterreiner, Notre Dame
* Portageville is starting to make their usual midseason transformation from an okay basketball team to one that is a threat by district time.
How does head coach Jim Bidewell do it? Every season, Bidewell performs a "Tom Hanks" for his Bulldog clubs. You know, at the start you are playing in roles like "The Money Pit" and "Joe versus the Volcano", but then you move on to movies like "Philadelphia" and "Forrest Gump". Hanks went from straight-to-video to big-budget films. Bidewell pulls similar feats with his Bulldogs.
* Speaking of Hollywood, Oscar nominations were announced this week and I can be sure of one thing, the films up for Best Picture I have not even heard of, much less seen. "Little Miss Sunshine", "The Queen", unless it is a tribute to the rock band, I will not be viewing that movie. Of course, I thought "Billy Madison" and "Happy Gilmore" were snubbed by the Academy back in the day.
* In professional football news, another Cincinnati Bengals player was arrested this week. In other news...the sun set in the west.
* Don't count on Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens attending the retirement party for head coach Bill Parcells. Even Brutus shook his head at that back stabbing by Owens.
And finally, nobody asked me but...yup, I had the Saints and the Patriots in the Super Bowl. When I make a pick for the upcoming Super Bowl, I will be like George Costanza and pick the opposite from what I would normally do.