[Nameplate] Fair ~ 81°F  
High: 92°F ~ Low: 71°F
Monday, Aug. 29, 2016

Portageville, Richland finish tournament on winning note

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Portageville's Marcus Greene pulls down a rebound.
BLOOMFIELD - The Malden Green Wave captured first place in the 50th Annual Bloomfield Christmas Tournament on Friday night with a 66-61 win over the Doniphan Dons.

The Puxico Indians won third place over the South Pemiscot Bulldogs, 57-48. Portageville captured fifth place over the Dexter Bearcats and 16th-seeded Richland rose from the ashes to win the consolation trophy over the Kennett Indians.

The Portageville Bulldogs captured fifth place with a 64-49 win over the Dexter Bearcats.

The Bulldogs outrebounded the Bearcats 51-22 and 24-8 on the offensive glass in the contest.

Members of the Richland basketball team celebrate.
"We are not shooting the basketball very well right now," said Portageville Jim Bidewell, "so we have to control the boards and I think we did a good job of that tonight."

Dexter shot the ball poorly and had issues with the half-court trap employed by Portageville in the first half. After one quarter, the Bulldogs led 13-4 and forced the Bearcats into four turnovers.

"We had low intensity and shot poorly from the field," said Dexter head coach Chris Trimmer. "We also shot extremely poorly from the free-throw line. When you shoot 9-for-25 from the line, it is tough to beat people."

The Bearcats clawed back in the second quarter with a 7-0 run to start the quarter and trailed 13-11 with 5:30 to play in the second.

The Bulldogs responded with solid play from a pair of seniors. Trey Mosby and Marcus Greene were the only Portageville players to score in the second quarter. Mosby had nine points going 5-for-5 from the free-throw line and Greene pumped in six points.

Portageville outscored Dexter 15-11 in the second, forcing seven turnovers and led 28-15 at the break.

"Portageville just came down and shot the ball, rebounded it and shot it, rebounded and kept doing it until they made it," said Trimmer. "You can't win basketball games if you're giving up four or five opportunities on the offensive end every single time down the floor."

The Bulldogs extended the lead in the third quarter with help off the bench from Terrale Jones who pumped in four points in the quarter. Portageville raced out to its biggest lead of the game, 39-20 with two minutes to play in the third. The Bulldogs led 43-25 heading into the final quarter.

"We are starting to get some production from our bench players and that gives us more depth," said Bidewell. "I am proud of how our kids responded after the loss in the second round. The guys didn't want to play for fifth place, but they went out and played."

With the tide against them for much of the game, Dexter found an extra gear to start the fourth quarter and went on a 10-0 run to close the gap to 43-35 with six minutes to play.

Portageville had issues of its own taking care of the basketball. The Bulldogs committed 21 turnovers in the contest.

"We didn't play smart," said Bidewell, "but we kept fighting. We need to take care of the basketball. We just give the ball up too much. The guys have to learn to keep a lead and stop letting teams back into the game."

The Bulldogs responded to the Dexter run with four straight points of their own and the Bearcats could not get any closer than eight points the rest of the way.

Greene led Portageville with 19 points and grabbed 11 rebounds (seven offensive). Mosby had a hand in many statistical categories against Dexter and finished his night with 16 points, eight rebounds, seven assists and had six steals.

Leonard Boyd had 11 points in the paint and 6-foot-5 freshman Kony Ealy had a game-high 17 rebounds (eight offensive), six points, three blocks and three steals for Portageville. Jones had eight points and five rebounds off the bench for the Bulldogs.

Derrick Chamberlain led the Bearcats with 13 points and had five rebounds. Eric Windham hit three 3's on his way to 12 points, with five rebounds and four steals.

Kevin Hart led Dexter with nine rebounds and finished with six points. Logan Carwile ended with 10 points off the bench for the Bearcats.

"We just did such a poor job on the boards," said Trimmer. "I felt like we were a little bit intimidated by their size. Everybody is struggling right now. It seems like a team-wide epidemic."

Portageville (8-1) hosts North Pemiscot on Thursday at 6 p.m.

Dexter (3-7) travels to Notre Dame on Thursday. Tip is set for 6 p.m.

The Richland Rebels captured the consolation trophy in thrilling fashion over the Kennett Indians, 47-45.

After trailing for much of the contest, Kennett took a 45-43 lead with 44 seconds to play in the fourth quarter.

Freshman Drew Thornton responded for the Rebels with a basket in the paint to tie the game at 45 with 15 seconds to play. On the ensuing offensive possession for the Indians, they tried to work the ball down low to 6-foot-4 forward Mario McGraw.

Thornton was guarding McGraw and when the pass was attempted, Thornton moved around McGraw and secured the steal for Richland and called timeout with five seconds left in regulation.

After the timeout for the Rebels, senior Nick Harris received the inbound pass and drove along the sideline and beat the Indian defender to the baseline. Once past the Kennett defender, Harris pulled up from 10-feet out and drained the jumper as time expired.

"That was a designed play to isolate Harris and have him come off a screen and take it to the hole," said Richland head coach Casey Knight. "Nick played his best game of the year and hit a huge shot for us."

Richland captured the trophy without the services of leading scorer Cameron Whittaker, who is out for a couple of weeks due to a shoulder injury.

"It took everybody we had tonight to pull out the win," said Knight. "Kennett played a heck of a game and is very well-coached. I am just proud of the way the guys played after getting seeded No. 16. We had a rough start to the season, but the guys are battling and playing hard-nosed basketball."

The Indians got off to a sluggish start, committing 12 turnovers in the first half. Richland led 29-23 at the break and controlled the boards despite being outsized in the paint.

"The end of the game had no bearing -- the last offensive possession, the last defensive possession had no bearing on the outcome of the game," said Kennett head coach Jim Vaughan. "It was what happened all the way up to that point where we got outworked for a good three quarters. In the fourth quarter, we turned it around and proved that we could outwork them a little bit. I was just so proud of how composed we were in the last quarter tonight, when it was tougher to bounce back, as opposed to the last two nights."

Kennett cut into the Rebel lead in the third quarter, outscoring Richland 10-6 and trailed 35-33 heading into the fourth.

In the fourth, Kennett outscored the Rebels 12-10 until the Harris shot and win for Richland.

The Rebels outrebounded the Indians 32-28 and forced Kennett to commit 17 total turnovers in the game.

Thornton had a tremendous tournament and it continued on Friday against the Indians with a game-high 21 points, 14 rebounds and had five steals. Eric Foster had two 3's and ended the game with eight points.

Harris had seven points, six rebounds and three assists for Richland. Tommy Stafford chipped in with six points.

McGraw led Kennett (2-8) with 15 points and nine rebounds (six offensive). Jarvis Finley hit four 3-pointers and had 14 points for the Indians. Sophomore Jeremy Hughes had six points and eight rebounds.

Richland (5-4) hosts Scott City on Thursday at 6 p.m.