[Nameplate] Partly Cloudy ~ 91°F  
Feels like: 100°F
Saturday, Aug. 27, 2016

High amounts of carbon monoxide killed twins

Friday, January 12, 2007

CARUTHERSVILLE - Carbon monoxide was ruled as the cause of death for two children.

Preliminary reports from an autopsy conducted at Mineral Area Hospital in Farmington on the bodies of 1-year-old twins Alexus Shiann Johnson and Bradley Ryan Johnson found the children died due to a large amount of carbon monoxide in their system, Pemiscot County Sheriff Tommy Greenwell reported.

The children were victims of a fire reported at 6:50 p.m. Wednesday at 1301 County Highway 524.

Investigators with the Missouri Fire Marshal's office, Division of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Missouri Highway Patrol Division of Drug and Crime Control, Caruthersville Police Department and the Pemiscot County Sheriff's Department have ruled the cause of the blaze as accidental. Reportedly the fire was caused by an electrical heat source.

Greenwell urged the public to take precautions for fire. "If you don't have a smoke detector in your home you should purchase one in order to save lives," the sheriff said.