Nobody asked me but...I have often thought what the world of sports would be like if I had full control.
What if your humble scribe controlled both high school, college and professional sports? I understand that thought scares a lot of my loyal readers. However, here is a little insight into the NAMB sports world...
* Missouri would have spring high school football. Regular readers are fully aware of my thoughts on this particular subject.
* Every basketball team in the area will submit a roster of its players before the high school season to me. My staff and I will personally verify the home address of each player on the rosters. Any deviation will result in harsh penalties. Maybe this would resolve the madness swirling around area high school hoops.
* If I ran high school sports, the football scoreboard at Sikeston Public Schools Stadium would be painted a bright red. Upon recent visual confirmation, the scoreboard is a faded red.
* Sikeston would win a team state title, any state title will do. Personally, it would be of great satisfaction to see the football squad grab the Class 4 title. However, on paper it looks like the Sikeston basketball team is closer to the state goal.
The Bulldogs finished second in Class 4 last season and the team might be even better the upcoming school year.
* The SEMO Conference would have a girls conference tournament like the boys. Whatever happened to equality?
* All area football coaches would run spread offenses similar to those run by Brad Gerling at Caruthersville and David Gilmore of Hayti.
* The Sikeston Bulls would serve ice cold beer at their home games. They have a good product on the field, might as well have a good product in the stands.
* Lennies McFerren would be the head coach at SEMO.
* Speaking of SEMO, I would bring back the Indian as mascot.
* Notre Dame would be off NBC and would join the Big 10 Conference. The Irish have one of the toughest college football schedules and most of their games should be on TV, but not the Rutgers and Syracuse games.
* Every Mizzou football and basketball game should be televised in the State of Missouri.
* The St. Louis Cardinals and every other professional sport team would build their new stadiums with private funds. Quit having Joe Sixpack foot the bill for millionaires.
* Albert Pujols would be more proactive than reactive to this HGH mess. Come clean Fat Albert.
* Roger Maris is the regular season home run champ, followed by Babe Ruth.
* Every kid in America would own a Larry Bird jersey and have a collection of his tapes to learn the game of basketball.
* The NFL would have the same type of salary structure as MLB so that my beloved Dallas Cowboys can buy titles like the Yankees and Red Sox.
* Pete Rose would be eligible for the Baseball Hall of Fame and gain entry. * When the best NFL quarterbacks of all-time are discussed, Troy Aikman's name would be mentioned sooner, rather than later.
* The NFL Ticket on DIRECTV, would be granted to all who has a TV.
And finally, nobody asked me but...my list above is incomplete. With Father's Day upcoming this weekend, I have one more entry for my father. The Chicago Cubs would win a World Series. He and Harry Caray would enjoy that up in the unknown.
One more for myself, a BBQ with my Dad and some time watching our Larry Bird tapes. Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's who make a difference out there.