(Photo by David Jenkins, Staff)
SIKESTON -- Rain played havoc in the Dexter and Sikeston tennis match Wednesday afternoon in Sikeston.
Midway through doubles play the matches had to be suspended because of a steady light rain that left the courts too slippery to play. No make-up date has been announced.
DEXTER -- The Charleston Lady Bluejays won their first dual match of the season, defeating Dexter 6-3 Tuesday afternoon.
1. Katelyn Heil (D) def. Jordan Duenne (C) 8-3.
2. Chelsea Stallings (C) def. Catherine Kinchen (D) 8-1.
3. Maggie Fox (C) def. Julie Bell (D) 8-3.
4. Jill Temples (D) def. Morgan Collier (C) 9-7.
5. Madeline Burke (C) def. Audra Lasater (D) 8-5.
6. Taylor Duenne (C) def. Jessica Snider (D) 8-3.
1. Heil/Kinchen (D) def. J.Duenne/Stallings (C) 9-8(2).
2. Fox/Collier (C) def. Bell/Temples (D) 9-7.
3. Burke/T.Duenne (C) def. Lasater/Snider (D) 9-7.
Junior Varsity winner: Jasmine Spence (C).
Dexter was forced to play the match without starter Abbie Warren who is out with an injury.
"Tonight was a bittersweet beginning to our season," said Dexter coach Kris Vandeven. "With Abbie's injury coming late in preseason practice, we only had one day to throw a new line-up together. It didn't work. We struggled with passing, therefore, we couldn't get in any kind of rhythm to run our offense. We made some adjustments to our lineup in the second game and things started to look up a bit."
Senior Cathryn Heil had 16 kills, two aces, six digs and five assists while Jessica Satterfield added eight kills, seven digs, three blocks and had 11 assists. Kayla Joyner added 12 digs and Brittany Bedford added six digs and eight assists.
"We are glad to have our first game under our belt and are moving on and putting it behind us," Vandeven added.