ORAN -- Firefighters from several departments worked together through the day Monday to battle a grain bin fire near Oran.
A call reporting the fire came in around 9:30 a.m., said Jim Watkins, fire chief in Oran. A 50-foot grain bin on County Highway 413, southwest of Oran, which stored soybeans had caught fire.
"We believe (the cause of the fire) was a piece of equipment that fell. (The equipment) usually aerates the soybeans," he said. "When that fell, the dryers tried to keep drying the soybeans and since things weren't moving around, the bottom layer just got cooked and eventually caught fire."
The soybeans stored in the bin were a total loss, said Watkins. The bin itself will also require extensive repairs, he said.
Firefighters from several departments responded to the blaze, including New Hamburg, Benton, Commerce, Perkins, Morley, Chaffee, Advance, Bell City, Scott County Rural and the Sikeston Department of Public Safety. They remained on the scene until around 6 p.m. Monday, according to Watkins.
Another similar fire occurred in the area earlier this year, said Watkins. "But before that, we've probably not had one for 10 years," he said.