[Nameplate] Overcast ~ 37°F  
High: 40°F ~ Low: 31°F
Wednesday, Nov. 26, 2014

Fire breaks out on Christmas day

Friday, December 26, 2008

SIKESTON -- A small fire broke out in a Sikeston home on Christmas morning.

The Sikeston Department of Public Safety was called to a fire at 405 Branum at 10:49 a.m. on Thursday. The blaze was caused by a plastic air mattress, which got too hot sitting near a floor furnace, according to Capt. John Martin of DPS.

The fire was out before firefighters arrived, said Martin "but there was a lot of smoke damage." Crews remained on the scene for about an hour to rid the house of smoke.

There were no injuries as a result of the blaze.