[Nameplate] Fair ~ 30°F  
High: 48°F ~ Low: 41°F
Thursday, Nov. 27, 2014

Fire and ice

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

(Photo)
Photo by Jill Bock, Staff
Some of the fire personnel from New Madrid and Lilbourn rest as they braved sub-freezing temperatures to battle a blaze that destroyed a residence occupied by Kevin and Carmen Lyons at 611 Scott St. in New Madrid. By the time fire personnel were called to the scene at 7:45 p.m. Monday, the blaze had reached into the ceiling of the structure, according to New Madrid Fire Chief Jim Harris. He said the blaze apparently began when an item was left on the stove unattended. Harris said the cold created several problems for the firemen as the battled the blaze until 2:30 a.m. today including freezing shut the nozzles on the fire hoses. No one was injured in the blaze, Harris said.

For more pictures and stories from the Standard Democrat, click here to log on to the electronic edition.