[Nameplate] Fair ~ 88°F  
Feels like: 98°F
Thursday, Aug. 25, 2016

Sonic robbery leads to three arrests

Saturday, February 20, 2010 ~ Updated 9:40 AM

SIKESTON -- Three individuals were arrested in connection with a Friday night robbery at a fast food restaurant in Sikeston in which a gun was also used.

Around 10:15 p.m. Friday officers with the Sikeston Department of Public Safety were alerted to the robbery at the Sonic Drive-In, located at 216 North Main in Sikeston, said Sgt. Jim McMillen, public information officer. The victims reported three males entered the business and demanded cash and that one of the males was armed with a handgun.

"When the workers handed over the money, the thieves ran east from the area," said McMillen.

Officers were immediately sent to investigate the matter, assisted by a Missouri State Highway Patrol Trooper and Scott County deputy. Sikeston's canine "Eros" and handler were also called to the scene. Eros immediately began tracking the scent of the offenders. While doing so, the Scott County deputy located three teenage males in the vicinity matching the description. The three subjects were detained on East Kathleen St. Eros continued his track until he also arrived on the scene here the three subjects were stopped.

DPS Criminal Investigative Unit already began their investigation, said McMillen. They continued their efforts by having a witness brought to Kathleen Street to view the suspects. Detectives were able to arrest the three from their preliminary investigation and took them into custody.

While doing so, an officer located a large amount of cash near the area where the three subjects were standing. A follow up investigation at the homes of the teens led detectives in finding other evidence from the robbery.

Two 17-year-olds and one 16-year-old were arrested, and their names are being withheld pending formal charges and juvenile restrictions. All three suspects remain in custody awaiting charges.

McMillen noted all involved did "excellent work" in the investigation, which was wrapped up in about an hour.