[Nameplate] Fair ~ 39°F  
Freeze Warning
Friday, Oct. 31, 2014

Electrical accident

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

(Photo)
Emergency personnel and Sikeston Board of Municipal Utility officials, pictured right, discuss the cause of an electric shock sustained by a BMU worker, not pictured. Emergency personnel responded to a report of a 65-year-old BMU worker being electrocuted on Ingram Road near Route HH shortly after 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. "He was just going to pull a meter and he got his hand in the meter box too far," said Kenny Stokes, distribution superintendent for BMU. The worker reportedly was alert when emergency personnel arrived and did not suffer any burns from the 480-volt shock, Stokes said, as it "jarred him out" of contact with the meter box. He was taken by ambulance to Missouri Delta Medical Center and released from the hospital by about 3:30 p.m. that same day according to Stokes.