CARUTHERSVILLE - A child fatality review board will meet to look further into the death of an infant, who suffocated.
Pemiscot County Coroner Jim Brimhall pronounced Ruby Cutler, a one-month-old child from rural Steele, dead Wednesday morning. An autopsy was conducted Wednesday afternoon which determined the child accidentally suffocated.
According to Lt. Ryan Holder with the Pemiscot County Sheriff's Department, deputies were called to a residence on County Highway 437 at 6:15 a.m. Wednesday after receiving a report of an infant not breathing.
"Deputies arrived at the residence along with medical personnel from the Pemiscot County Memorial Hospital. It was determined a one-month-old female was not breathing and hadn't been for quite sometime," Holder said in a news release.
During the investigation, Holder said officers determined the infant had been asleep on a love seat in the living room throughout the night and was unattended by the adults in the home.
"It appeared the child at one point during the night had become wedged in between the back of the love seat and cushion portion," Holder said. "It is believed the infant at this point wasn't able to receive enough oxygen," resulting in the death.
Although no foul play is suspected, a child fatality review board is required to meet on the death.
Assisting in the investigation was the Missouri Division of Family Services.
For more stories from the Standard Democrat, click here to log on to the electronic edition.