TWIN RIVERS -- The seedings have been set for the 15th Annual Lady Royals Classic which begins Saturday at Twin Rivers High School.
Several local teams will be taking part in the event with Dexter earning the top seed. The Lady Bearcats, who have a record of 4-2 with losses to Miller Career Academy and Jackson, will open with 16th seeded Malden at 9 a.m. on Saturday. Dexter, who has won four tournament titles with the last being in 2009, has finished third the last two years.
Sikeston comes in with an undefeated 4-0 mark as of Friday and are seeded third. They will take on 14th seeded Portageville at 3 p.m. Saturday. Sikeston, who finished fifth last season, won their only Lady Royals Classic in 2001. Portageville has never won the event, falling to Dexter in their only finals appearance in 2009.
New Madrid County Central comes in with a record of 3-2, earning the sixth seed. The Lady Eagles will take on 11th seeded Clearwater at 4:30 p.m. NMCC also has never won the championship, making the finals in 1999 and 2000, falling both years to Doniphan.
Charleston comes in at 3-1 and was seeded seventh. The Lady Bluejays will take on 10th seeded Twin Rivers at 6 p.m. Saturday. Charleston's only finals appearance came in 2004 when they lost to Twin Rivers.
The winners bracket quarterfinals will be held on Monday, Dec. 19, with the consolation quarterfinals set for Tuesday, Dec. 20. On Wednesday Dec. 21, will be the consolation semifinals, the fifth place semifinals and the semifinals. With championship night set for Thursday, Dec. 22, starting with the consolation at 3 p.m. and ending with the championship at 7:30 p.m.
Neelyville, seeded fourth in this year's tournament, has won the last two LRC championships.
Saturday's full schedule will be:
(1) Dexter (4-2) vs. (16) Malden (0-4), 9 a.m.
(8) Doniphan (2-1) vs. (9) Greenville (1-3), 10:30 a.m.
(5) Naylor (1-2) vs. (12) Kelly (1-1), noon
(4) Neelyville (4-2) vs. (13) Senath-Hornersville (1-3), 1:30 p.m.
(3) Sikeston (4-0) vs. (14) Portageville (2-3), 3 p.m.
(6) New Madrid County Central (3-2) vs. (11) Clearwater (1-2), 4:30 p.m.
(7) Charleston (3-1) vs. (10) Twin Rivers (2-3), 6 p.m.
(2) Kennett (5-0) vs. (15) East Carter (1-2), 7:30 p.m.
BOYS BASKETBALL Clarkton Holiday Tournament
CLARKTON -- The Risco Tigers earned the top seed in the 2011 Clarkton Holiday Tournament. Risco, 5-0 on the season, will take on the Clarkton Junior Varsity on Monday at 8 p.m.
The Tigers, who have already won the Bernie Invitational, finished third in the Clarkton Holiday Tournament last season and last made the finals in 2009, losing to Gosnell, Ark.
The winners bracket semifinals are set for Thursday night with the finals on tap for Friday with the championship game to be played at 8 p.m.
First round matchups are:
(2) Gosnell, Ark. v. (7) Cooter, 5 p.m.
(4) Gideon v. (5) Piggott, Ark., 6:30 p.m.
(1) Risco v. (8) Clarkton JV, 8 p.m.
(3) Clarkton v. (6) East Carter, 6 p.m.