CAPE GIRARDEAU -- The Sikeston Bulldogs soccer team dropped a close 1-0 decision to the Jackson Indians during the opening round of the Notre Dame Soccer Fest Thursday at Notre Dame High School.
Jackson scored the only goal of the contest at the 15 minute mark on a free kick.
"We couldn't string a lot together," Sikeston head coach Doyle Noe said. "We actually out-shot Jackson in the second half, we just couldn't finish.
"Adam Johnson had a nice game for us up top. He created a lot of opportunities for us even though we couldn't put one in."
Sikeston will play Carbondale, Ill., who lost to Poplar Bluff 2-0, at 3:30 today in the consolation bracket.
Jackson will square off against Poplar Bluff in the semifinals at 5:30 p.m. and Cape Central, who took care of Marion, Ill., 2-1 in overtime, will play the host Notre Dame Bulldogs at 7:30 in the other semifinal.
Notre Dame defeated Perryville 1-0 in penalty kicks.
FREDERICKTOWN -- Playing the Fredericktown Lady Blackcats Thursday, the Sikeston Lady Bulldogs tennis team fell 6-3 in varsity action.
Kelsey Dial and Geena Hooper picked up wins in singles action while Kelsey Dial and Jordan Powell teamed up for a win in doubles.
On the junior varsity side, the Lady Bulldogs edged out a 4-3 win.
"We showed some improvement today against a very solid team," Sikeston head coach Russ Dial said. "Kelsey Dial, Geena Hooper and the doubles team of Kelsey Dial and Jordan Powell all did well for varsity. While Ali Price, McKeena Dial and Caroline Jackson did well at the junior varsity level."
Sikeston travels to Caruthersville on Tuesday to play the Lady Tigers at 4 p.m.
1. Kelsey Dial (S) def. Anna Kisner (F), 8-2
2. Courtney Holliday (F) def. Martha Neel (S), 8-5
3. Geena Hooper (S) def. Bryson Starkey (F), 8-5
4. Myranda Shaffer (F) def. Jordan Powell (S), 8-5
5. Haley Holliday (F) def. Emma Ferrell (S), 8-0
6. Mikaela Tremaine (F) def. Janai Ivory (S), (FF)
1. Dial/Powell (S) def. Kisner/Starkey (F), 8-3
2. C. Holliday/Shafer (F) def. Neel/Ivory (S), 8-2
3. H. Holliday/Tremaine (F) def. Hooper/Ferrell (S), 8-1
7. A. Price (S) def. E. Ray (F), 6-0
8. K. Pinkley (F) def. A. Basham (S), 2-0
9. M. Dial (S) def. B. Sarakas (F), 2-1
10. A. Amelunk (F) def. B. Basham (S), 6-3
11. C. Jackson (S) def. V. Forsythe (F), 6-0
1. Ray/Pinkley (F) def. A. Price/A. Vaught (S), 6-4
2. A. Ellis/J. Braden (S) def. Sarakas/Amelunk (F), 6-3
CHARLESTON -- The Charleston Lady Bluejays failed to score a single point against visiting Notre Dame Thursday.
Notre Dame's junior varsity also swept through Charleston, 4-0.
Carly Hopkins (N) def. Daisy Gillespie (C), 8-0.
Reagan Kapp (N) def. Catherine Small (C), 8-0.
Anna Unterreiner (N) def. Gabrielle Brewer (C), 8-0.
Maddie Walker (N) def. Samantha Risius (C), 8-0.
Emily Young (N) def. Alexia Jones (C) 8-0.
Adele Soutar (N) def. Madelyn Nally (C) 8-0.
Hopkins/Kapp (N) def. Gillespie/Small (C), 8-0.
Unterreiner/C. Burke (N) def. Brewer/Jones (C), 8-0.
Walker/Young (N) def. Risius-Nally (C), 8-0.
JACKSON -- Needing three sets, the Dexter Lady Bearcats defeated Jackson in their home opener Thursday, 25-14, 20-25 and 25-20.
Dexter's Jessica Lindsey led the Lady Bearcats with 13 kills while Hannah Hoe added six.
KENNETT -- The Charleston Lady Bluejays volleyball team dropped a match to Kennett Thursday, 18-25 and 11-25 at Kennett High School.
Kennett's junior varsity also won, 25-12, 25-10.